Free-Air HE15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Bray, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Just for S&G I hooked the HE15 with NO box to my amp with the HE15 coils in series and the amp bridged mono. I thought I'd flex the suspension a little, and didn't expect much in the way of bass. Wow was I surprised. The room shook so much I had to reassure myself that I did indeed disconnect the speaker from my old sub and hook it up to the HE15. My wife asked if it was necessary to shake the floor so much. Interestingly, the gain was at about -15db, and the volume quite low.
    The best part was the very clean bass that came out. It was very natural sounding with one caveat. The response was very null in certain locations in the room. On-axis with the woofer, response was VERY strong. At about 30 degrees off axis, response was nulled. In the room similar effects were produced. On the room boundary farthest from the sub, bass was also very strong. It would be interesting to map the nulls in the room versus frequency and location. I think that it is most likely that the nulls are in different locations at different frequencies, although to my ears when I found a good spot, the overall system sounded very good.
    All this makes me wonder if a simple dipole (really free air since there's no baffle at all) woofer could be set up particularly for theater use that was 'focused' on a seating are such as a couch. If the frequency response could be gotten flat just at the seating area, you'd have a very simple, natural sounding sub. I have not heard an IB, but I think this is the sound the IB folks rave about. It would probably make sense to use a few drivers to improve power handling, but it would'nt take up any room to speak of.
    Anyway, just though I'd share this, it was really interesting and it's easy to try.
    Vince
    ps-the overall power to the sub was very low, and if you try this, remember the sub is totally unloaded in this situation, so caution is probably in order..

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Crud. And I wasted all that money on PRs and materials for my enclosure. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, how did you set them, on an angle or on their backs? I might try thiss out of impatience to hear them.
    BB

3. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I just put it on its magnet, which blocked the magnet vent of course, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I would have left it hooked up but the little fingers were way too interested. Not that a one year old can move it, but it's amazing what creative forms of destruction the little ones come up with. A cup of cool-ade would be BAD.
    Try it out, you'll be pleased!
    Vince

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Yeah, I have a 3 year old who has seen mine, and wants to move it (and coincidently weighs the same as it does). As soon as I get the 30 amp breaker in for my amp circuit, I think I'll try it.
    BB