What's new

Free advertising for Bose? Tribune article... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
In today's Chicago Tribune, Home and Garden section, Madeleine Marr has an article about custom cabinets/entertainment centers. Included is the following statement:

"Home may be where the heart is, but it helps that the remote control is there too. For some Americans, elaborate home theaters -- with DVD players, plasma television sets, subwoofers, Bose speakers, the works -- have replaced a night out or a vacation to Greece."

The only other brand mentioned in the article is a Mitsubishi television, but that's referring to a specific television owned by someone in the article. Part of me wants to write her and ask her what she was thinking, but I suspect it's not worth the effort.

Just another example of the traction Bose has in the market.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Interesting how stupid people are.

I have a small story of my own about the Bose 3-2-1 system. My friends father purchased it and it costed him about $1000 and includes 2 speakers, the acoustimess module, and an intergrated DVD player and amplifier and all that.

So I say alright i'm gonna bring over a few movies (which were burned) and we play it on his TV. So everything is fine for about 1 minute then people start talking about there is no sound. Apparently this system will not downmix a 5.1 signal...

This DVD was also burnt but I put all the features on it. The other thing that was funny is that even though he has a widescreen TV, the Bose system wouldn't make it fit the TV while his cablebox and VCR player both fit. Talk about a cheap piece of junk, a $1000 system worth no more than $200.

Goes to show what marketing can do and also how Bose puts no quality into there product.

MichaelBryant

Stunt Coordinator
I am apalled at the lack of quality in Bose products I've seen. My mother recently purchased the CD Wave radio for 500.00. The CD player is one of those cheapo models that does not remember where the CD left off when you press the stop button. The sound quality is also noticably inferior when a CD is played through the suppled Bose CD player. If I connect my moms SD-1200 Toshiba DVD player into the A/V jack of the radio and play a CD through the Toshiba the sound quality is noticably more full and layered as compared to the flat sound emitted using the BOSE supplied cd player.

My mom only paid 100 dollars for the Toshiba yet it can yield superior sound to the extra 150 dollars that Bose charges for their add-on CD player.

Another gripe, Bose's new products seem to be inferior to the products they replace. Check out this link to their new $199.00 Computer speaker system. link

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I had the chance to hear the Companion 3 system. I think its sub may be a 5.25" high-excursion driver, but it looks like it has a dust cap. I am not sure if the satellite drivers are more than 1.5" in diameter. It is vented in the back via a slot port where the edges are rounded over. This is a departure from the traditional acoustic line that they generally use. The bass seemed to go deep, but not with as much authority as the Klipsch speaker system sitting right next to it. The satellites are probably the most questionable parts of the system, becoming noticeably more harsh as the volume was turned up. I could hear built-in limiters kicking in on the bass module as the volume was turned up, but through the metal grille it looked like the driver was doing some excursion. Highs seemed extended, but very bright, and probably somewhat fatiguing. The system did, however, seem capable of much more output than the MediaMate speakers. It was still matched and slightly bested by the much less expensive ($99) Logitech Z-3 system, and owned by the Klipsch 2.1 Promedias, which were also less expensive, though by a smaller margin.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Hey, Michael. Why'd you let your mom buy Blose in the first place? I think that's ground for either dis-owning you from the family or leave you out of the will :)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I am very curious to smash this Bose system I have just to see how the drivers are rotting away. This system I have from them is back from the early 90's and I can hear it starting to sound like a pile of poop.

I gave them to my cousin who lives in the basement though as I thought he might enjoy them... which for the most part he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks