What's new

Free 2 room install from DirectTV; upgrade to HDTV (1 Viewer)

Tom McLaughlin

Auditioning
All,
I've had my 46" Mistu HDTV ready TV for about 1.5 years now. I use it mostly for movies, but pump regular cable into it. It is time to upgrade to HDTV. Questions:

1) I'd like to use the DirectTV promotion for a free 2 room install, but upgrade this to the needed dish and set top box needed for HDTV. Has anyone done this before through DirectTV or should I just buy the stuff and intstall it myself?

2) Are there any HDTV set top boxes with built in hard drives to use for recording, time shift, etc?

3) I've never had satelite before. How many cables do I need to run to the set top box where I will receive HDTV in order to get regular programming, HDTV, and have picture in picture? Do I use the 3 LNB dish or dual LNB?

Sorry for the newbie questions...need help.

Tom

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. If you are handy with tools and want it done right, then do it yourself. If not, get the Blockbuster deal. When signing up tell them you want the Para Todos package. That will get you the multi-sat (3 LNB) dish. When ordering programming, you don't actually have to purchase Spanish language channels.

2. Not yet. It looks like Dishnetwork will have the 921 receiver out soon. If it's like Dish's other PVRs it will be pretty buggy at first. DirecTV has announced the HD DirecTivo and it may be available around the end of the year.

3. You run one coax per tuner. I have a dual tuner DirecTivo and a HD receiver so I have three coax cables from my dish to my receivers. As soon as I move my antenna to the attic I'll have to run another coax for it. For PIP with satellite you will need two receivers.

-Robert

Tom McLaughlin

Auditioning
Thanks Robert. Is there a box that will allow me to receiver HDTV, regular satellite, over the air HDTV and allow me to have PIP (two tuners).

Seems not right that I have to give up PIP on my $2500 TV. I can sacrifice not having the Tivo like experience for now.

Can you suggest a box that will do what I want?

How hard is it to get the signal from both satellites? We bring a satellite to our tailgates for the football games and it is a bit of a pain to get the signal from one sat more or less two...

Thanks again.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Does your cable system offer HD service yet? If so, check out this option. I get 9 HD channels and the quality is fantastic. I don't think Direct TV even offers the major networks in HD, do they?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think Direct TV even offers the major networks in HD, do they?
Only Dish offers the CBS network feed and you have to live in a CBS owned and operated market or the middle of nowhere to qualify. Yes, cable is convienient but the SD quality varies. Time Warner out of Memphis sucks or at least they did when I tried digital cable for 3 1/2 weeks a couple of years ago. Now they carry Showtime and HBO HD now but no networks. The quality of SD programming is also important to me and I will NEVER give up my DirecTivo. I guess I'm stuck with DirecTV.

-Robert

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
A point of clarification, when you ask for the Para Todos package ALSO specify that you want NASA channel and BYUTV. (Bringham Young Univ)

The Paratodos may only get you a 2 LNB dish, depending on what the HSP has in stock. If you specify those two channels they will send a triple LNB dish.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you specify those two channels they will send a triple LNB dish.
That's odd since NASA and BYU are both on the 119 satellite. To be sure you can tell them you want the Chinese language package. Those channels are on the 110 satellite. Either way, most new multi-sat installs will use the new Phase III dish which comes with all three LNB's installed. If you happen to get an older multi-sat dish with only two LNB's, the Sat-C kit is $9 from D* and takes five minutes to install.

-Robert

Tom McLaughlin

Auditioning
I've checked with Charter a few times and still don't think they offer HD. I'm tired of paying $48 a month to these saps for basic cable.

I saw a commercial on ESPN this morning that they are going to offer HDESPN...anyone else heard this. Is it going to be on DirectTV?????????????????/

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ESPN HD announced this on Sept 25, 2002 that the channel will start broadcasting in April. Neither DirecTV nor Dish have announced they will be carrying this channel. There are more rumors that Dish will be carrying this but it is DirecTV's policy not to announce any new programming until the deal has been finalized.

AVS has a really good summary of all the HD offerings out there. *

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks