Freddie Mercury Tribute DVD defective ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JiM T, Jul 20, 2003.

1. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

On the 2nd disc of the Queen "Freddie Mercury Tribute" DVD set, in the "Freddie" section, my player freezes up at the end of each of the segments. The only way out is to completely power down. I have a JVC SA70 player. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with this title.

Thanks

JiM T

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I own a JVC and have the EXCACT same problem with the QUEEN greatest video hits 1 discs. if I choose a single video as oppossed to "PLAY ALL", it does this. Annoying...

3. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

I always considered the Tribute disc to be defective because it didn't contain the first half of the concert and such songs as Innuendo. [​IMG] No sale here.

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Terry, I agree. At least they could have given us Extreme's Queen medley as there wouldn't be any "rights" issues as they were Queen's songs.
    Also, I believe I read somewhere that Robert Plant requested that "Innuendo" be left off as it was kind of a disaster. What's odd is that he didn't dub it after as Gary Cherone so OBVIOUSLY did on "HAMMER TO FALL (There are moments where you hear him singing, though he clearly has pulled the mic. away!!!) I taped it off TV live and watched the old tape. Daltry appears to have as well. He cracked his head off a few times and on the DVD, does not...

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I thought Plant's rendition of "Innuendo" was just fine. Not perfect, but then again his voice isn't really suited for that song.

Why didn't they make the expense to secure the rights for the first part of the show? Would the royalties have cut into the profits too much, or were any of the performers against it?

6. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Plant was AWFUL on "Innuendo", we're not talking just being off-key here, but the constant flubs and forgetting lyrics was downright embarassing. I don't blame him for asking it not to be included.

Also, it was said that if the concert ever had a CD release, *some* artists would've wanted to be paid...maybe this also reflected upon the DVD?

7. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Dave, thanks for the info on "Video Hits 1" also doing that. I've been looking forward to owning that, but havin't pulled the trigger yet. At least I won't be as disappointed when I finally do get around to it.

(I mistakenly typed that I had a Panasonic player, when I do in fact have a JVC. It's fixed now. Sorry for any confusion...)

JiM T

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Is it true that this DVD doesn't contain the Extreme medley? My brother was just talking about this and how much he loved that concert (mainly due to Extremes performance) and it would have made a great birthday present, but now I hear that Extreme isn't on the DVD? [​IMG]

9. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Nope, the Extreme bit, as well as the entire "opening" section (with sets by Metallica, Def Leppard and Guns n Roses) have been excluded from the DVD.