Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert-region 1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim L, May 2, 2002.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I noticed this concert is available for pre-order but I have only seen it in region 2- does anybody know if this is

available in region 1 or region 0 like his box set was? thanks

Tim

2. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    No details for any region 1 release yet but keep in mind, the VHS version was out in america exactly 5 months *after* it was released in the UK so I think we have some waiting to do.

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I hope you are right- I can't believe this isn't region 0 like the freddie box set was, living in the states constantly leaves us out of the loop

Tim

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I also heard that this isn't the complete show! 1/2 actually. Just the bit with queen playing with Guest vocalists. So, all the Def Leppard, Mettallica, Guns and Roses and Extreme tunes are NOT included.

Hmmmm.... Maybe it's a 'rights' issue, but they were for the most part included on the VHS.

Can anyone say, "Jip" ???? Hey Bruce springsteen at Madison Sq. Garden was the WHOLE show on 2 discs!!!

Does not bode well for future Queen DVD releases...

sigh....

D

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Oops! Forgot SPINAL TAP!!!

They played "Majesty of Rock" and did a bit of Shtick....

6. Michael Allred

Michael
    Does anyone really care about a bunch of performances that had nothing to do with Queen or Freddie? I always skipped past them. The GOOD half will be on the DVD.

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

In a word, yes.... Actually Extreme did an INCREDIBLE medley of Queen songs. Lessee...

"Mustapha, Bo-Rap, Keep Yourself Alive, I want to break free, Bicycle Race, Another One bites the Dust, We Will Rock You, Radio Ga Ga, Stone Cold Crazy, LOve of My Life."

With Nuno, (No slouch on the guitar) playing amazingly and Cherone nailing, (Albeit not as prettily as Freddie) EVERY note. Something NOBODY else save George Michael pulled off that day!

Metallica played a great mini- set. So did Def Leppard who also played "Now I'm Here" with Brian.

Guns and Roses controversially (at the time) played.

There was a Mott the Hoople reunion (all the Young Dudes) w/ Bowie on Sax!

So, yes this would be nice to at least have even if it's not eveybody's cup of tea. It is HISTORY! Especially when the OOP VHS is 3 hours long. Why should we happily take an under 2 hour DVD????

I mean, we could just start releasing "Best of's"...

LIVE AID? Only best of...

The fact that this was a historic music event IMHO means it deserves to be preserved.

Like I said, if it's a "rights" issue, fine. But I don't think it is as this was for "Charity" and most of this was released on the VHS!!!!

Peace! D

8. Michael Allred

Michael
    "All the Young Dudes" is on the DVD.

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would love to have the complete Concert for Life on DVD. Even CD for that matter. If anyone knows it's coming to R1, please give a heads up.

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Michael, You're correct. I looked at the track listing on the QUEENonline website. However, EVERYTHING else mentioned has been OMITTED!

Queen has a Notorious past at editing their videos. Whenever I see that "The Torpedo Twins" are involved, I CRINGE.

The Magic tour, LIVE in Budapest VHS even has PARTIAL songs!! Tie YOUR MOTHER DOWN for instance doesn't even have the 2nd verse!!!!

Queen Live at Wembley (86) also is not the complete show and the whole show WAS recorded and broadcast in it's ENTIRETY in the UK.

Queen Rare Live, A concert through Time and Space also has edited songs.

I just think this could be bad for the future of Queen DVD releases. If I'm gonna rebuy something, I want MORE not less.

I know there is behind the scenes, rehearsal footage, Yada, Yada. But the concert should take precedence...

And since the VHS is OOP unless someone tracks it down on Ebay etc......

Ok, Rant over... It's just odd how in a Forum where people go NUTS over OAR, etc... So few people care about editing down a document of a historic event. Imagine the uproar if Older films are released and have been edited down on DVD!!!!

Peace! I'm still looking forward to it, though.

D

11. Michael Allred

Michael
    Just look at it like you're getting a Queen+ concert (which is what the 2nd half of the show was) without the opening acts.

12. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Very true, Mike.

I DID like Def Leppard playing Now I'm Here w/ Brian though. Gonna miss that.

Also, on the R2 DVD, I've read that it's been reframed to fit 16x9. I wonder how that's gonna look.

Yeah, "Twins"... BAD.

I own the Jeff Buckley Live in Chicago DVD which is AMAZING in that it is the COMPLETE unedited show. All the pauses between tunes, stage patter, bad jokes, tuning, facial expressions, rants to the audience who keep yelling the whole show for him to play "Hallelujah" (which he didn't even WRITE!) to which he replys, "F*ck OFF! Just F*CK OFF...!" are priceless. Real fans appreciate these moments. Not when something is Hyperedited ala MTV and the music is cut to shreds.

(sigh)

Peace! D