'Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert' NTSC version! Help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, May 16, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    over at Queen's official site, www.queenonline.com, they're selling an NTSC version of the tribute DVD! This is what it says;
    "Pre-Order the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert Special 10th Anniversary Edition NTSC Format able to play in Multi-Region machines"
    Ok so what the hell does that mean?
    1) It's playable in any NTSC country? US and Japan are NTSC but different region codes.
    2) It's ONLY playable on 1 of thse multi-region players.
    Ugh, can't they JUST say if the NTSC version is region free or not? I'm totally confused here.

2. stephen abbot

Micheal, without seeing this disc's details in front of me, I would suggest that the disc is coded R0 which means that it will play on all players in any region. Obviously it is mastered with NTSC video, so no problem for viewers in NTSC regions, and for those of us in PAL regions, well all modern (last 7years)PAL TV's display NTSC as a matter of course.
    Cheers
    Stephen

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

They also sold the Freddie Mercury Box set and as far as I know, The NTSC DVD's DEFINITELY worked here in the US !!!
    [​IMG] D

4. Michael Allred

Michael
  5. Michael Allred

Michael
    Ok, I just got confirmation from queenonline, the NTSC DVD *IS* region free!

6. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I'd be interested if it contained the whole show.

Oh well.

N

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I wonder why it only contains the second half of the show. I may get this anyway, as it has some of the best stuff from the program, but why skip the first 1/2?

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Probably legal issues. If I recall correctly, releasing the concert on VHS was a logistics nightmare back in 1992. And since some of the bands that participated no longer even exist, it might have been more difficult to secure releases this time around.

Also, since it's been so long since Freddie's passing, perhaps the spirit of goodwill that existed back then (the concert was for charity) has somewhat cooled and some people wanted too much money for the rights to use their performances?

9. Michael Allred

Michael
    It's definitely a rights issue but also some artists didn't want a certain performance ever released, like Robert Plant not wanting "Innuendo" ever to be seen/heard again.