What's new

Fred Willard passes away at 86 (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Fred Willard - talented comedian passes away from natural causes.

I think my favorite of his many, many roles was Fernwood/America 2Night and Best In Show

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wonderfully funny always, but I loved him as Phil's dad on Modern Family, and he's peerless in Christopher Guest's mockumentaries especially Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It was so good seeing him on Jimmy Kimmel Live's comedy bits in recent years. Obviously, Jimmy was a fan and was keen to keep Fred working. On the last few of these appearances (and his swan-song on Modern Family) I did notice how awfully frail he seemed and it made me wonder just how long he'd still be with us.

My first memories of seeing him were on his segments of NBC's Real People. I don't think the Fernwood shows played in my area (and would most certainly have been before my bedtime), but I got to see some of it on TV Land's "Kitschen" years later. Funny stuff, deserving of a DVD release.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A mainstay in the comedy world. His work has endured generations.
R.I.P.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How sad. My wife and I met him at the Anchorman 2 premiere. He was generous and charming with his time.
Here he is with my wife.

1589668938199.jpeg

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was so good seeing him on Jimmy Kimmel Live's comedy bits in recent years. Obviously, Jimmy was a fan and was keen to keep Fred working. On the last few of these appearances (and his swan-song on Modern Family) I did notice how awfully frail he seemed and it made me wonder just how long he'd still be with us.

Yeah, when he did that final Modern Family appearance earlier this year, it left me wondering was he really as frail looking as he appeared, or did they make him up like that because of the nature of the story they were telling in that episode.

Either way, he did a great job in the episode.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Sad news. FW always cracked me up; just seeing him in a TV show/film made me laugh.

My favorite role of his was as one of the commentators (ha ha) in Christopher Guest's "Best in Show". His dialogue made me laugh so hard tears came to my eyes - hilarious ;)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Loved him since Fernwood Tonight (and would have written for that series if renewed), Christopher Guest films, and don't forget D.C. Follies where he was the bartender with the political puppets. Good on Kimmel keeping him working.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
He had one short scene in This Is Spinal Tap- he was one of the military guys at the base who told the band how much time they could play, right before Nigel stormed off the stage (he said something like they wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible). RIP, Fred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javalsu