Fred Savage "The Wizard" any release information?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd stone, Apr 18, 2004.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

So did I! Recently, a different Fred Savage movie I loved (Little Monsters) was FINALLY released on DVD. Perhaps it's a sign...

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I am hoping for a DVD release as well, really liked the whole nintendo theme.

4. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

While I enjoyed this as a kid, being a Nintendo nut and all, I seriously think that this film will age horribly when I view it again on DVD.

5. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

It should've become a camp classic. The whole thing is 1) one giant commercial for Nintendo, and 2) a rip-off of "Rain Man."

The parts with the Power Glove crack me up. There's that part where the one kid takes out the Power Glove, and everyone is just shocked and frightened by it. When, in reality, the things sucked. They looked neat and futuristic, but the things were worthless to use.

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

"I love the power glove. It's so bad." [​IMG]

Jeez, that line was cheesy even when the film was new. I can only imagine how horrible and cheesy this film would seem to me now.

7. Brian F

Brian F Agent

I have it on LD and have watched it recently. Trust me, it is entertainingly horrible and cheesy! This film comes up in threads here on HTF from time to time, so hopefully Universal is listening and will eventually release it on DVD!

8. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

SMB3 had to be mine after watching this flick. My friend got the Power Glove. LOL is all I have to say about that. What a POS.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Just keep your power gloves off her, OK pal?
    It's like the Adventures of Link- he has to find Zelda, you have to find a house. Same difference. I don't think it's sexist, I think it's romantic.

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

"Just keep your power gloves off her, OK pal?"

[​IMG]

haha best line ever!.

It was Super Mario3 as someone mentioned above right? Didn't the kid have a dream about a futuristic Mario game or something?

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

The parts with the Power Glove crack me up. >>>

That kid probably got beat up in highschool for saying such a corny line [​IMG]

Seriously, they need to get all three main actors back for a commentary, and have a seperate commentary for the adult actors [​IMG].

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Don't mean to hijack or change the topic, but this got me wondering what other movies out there are such blatant commercials like this? I can't think of any other movie that revolves so heavily around one product, though the 1988 cheapo ET ripoff Mac & Me includes a few shameless plugs for McDonald's and Coke- in one scene the kid revives a dying alien family with Coke and says "This must be like what they drink on their planet!"
    I've seen much-too-obvious product placement in tons of films (like "The Presidio" where there's a Pepsi sign in almost every scene) but nothing comes close to The Wizard in terms of making a movie to promote something.

13. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Here's a funny site with screen pics. Looks like a great movie! It even has clips you can download, including the "it's so bad" clip.

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Not really a product placement movie, but one obvious scene in Ghostbusters... "Look at all this junk food!" A Big Closeup on Murrays face right next to a Coke can with the label clearly displayed [​IMG]

15. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I remeber seeing this movie on it's opening weekend with my cousins. Was so into Nintendo at that time. Even my 12 year old mind couldn't get past the holes in the plot and the blatant commericalism of this Nintendo commercial.

Remember the ending? How in the world could the girl shout out instructions for Super Mario 3 if this was the first time anyone had played it? How CRAZY!

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The games on the big screens are obviously film projections- you can see a few splices if you look carefully.
    My guess is SMB3 was already out in Japan (a friend of mine had the Japanese Famicom system and I got to play tons of games months before they came out here, including the REAL Super Mario 2- the one in the US was actually a game called Ali Baba with the characters replaced by Mario!) So that's how she knew what to do in the game.

17. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I love the power glove.... it's so BAD!

[​IMG]

18. Ben_@

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Not only was he using the Power Glove, but he was playing "Rad Racer"! The only more 80s game name is "Bad Dudes."

I'm glad someone else posted this, i'd almost be too embarassed... but I'd buy this movie in a second (see that Universal!?)

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Same here. I have it taped off of TV from a long time ago somewhere...may have to hunt it down and find a VCR [​IMG]

Classic movie. I still can't play Mario 3 without thinking about it.

20. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard anything new on a DVD release of The Wizard? I'd love to have this on DVD.