What's new

Fred Rogers: America’s Favorite Neighbor - DVD (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't mind the bugs so much, but prefer the light white/see through kind where you don't really notice it. The proper logo ones stick out too much, and the all out advertising (which involves animation and in the case of USA, takes up the entire bottom fifth of the screen are seriously offensive).

Obligatory Mr Rogers comment. Been watching this with my two year old lately and am fully enjoying it. The special is on Sunday here. Wasn't aware of the DVD... We try to give a certain amount to charities and the like each year. Depending on how good the special is I might pick this up. That or to the PBS Kids Club for the boy.

-paul

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I just ran across this title at my local library and rented it. I also saw the special on PBS (the one hour version, I believe) and was interested in the extra features.

Tonight Show
At about the hour mark, where the show has the closing footage from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, there is a fadeout and I think that is where the PBS version ended. On DVD, Michael Keaton returns and shows two nearly complete clips from The Tonight Show with guest host Joan Rivers. The clips are from '83 and '86. For as ascerbic as Joan can be, she shows another side of herself with Fred...although a few jokes still slipped in.

Mister Rogers Goes to Washington
Fred's complete speech regarding funding for PBS.

Creative Person
A 1967 B/W documentary on Fred and his shows.

Arsenio Hall Show
Highlights of his appearance from '93.

Lifetime Achievement Award
The complete segment from the Daytime Emmy Awards (1997)

TV Hall of Fame
The complete segment for his Lifetime Achievement Award (1999)

Presidential Medal of Freedom
Complete segment of award from President Bush (2002).

Backstage Memories
A segment from WQED's memorial tribute with interviews from crew and co-stars (2003).

Meet Family Communications
PSA

"You Are Special"
Video montage.

Overall package is A-, only for lack of interviews with more of the original co-stars. Well worth tracking down.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Most people can get a good chunk back come tax time, too. :) If they allow the DVD to be used with local pledge drives in your area, many states allow state tax credits for contributions to local PBS stations in addition to the federal deduction.

Regards,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
nothings wrong with donating to PBS, well, except they took off the only show I ever actually watched on a consistent bases as an adult, DOCTOR WHO!;) *

The only reason I ask, is often during their pledge drives they flog DVD's of the shows they are showing at high donation prices, which can be found for normal prices in the stores. (IE: concerts, Ken Burns stuff etc.) I'm surprised that this isn't one of them.

*I probably should of paid more attention to Seasmae Street, based on my spelling and grammer:b

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is an excellent DVD and well worth the $20 (or under) it takes to buy it.

I also would have liked more interviews with the surviving cast members. Joe Negri lives (and still performs) in the Pittsburgh area and would have been very accessible. Betty Aberlin lives in the same area and apparently does a lot of theater work. I'm puzzled why they weren't interviewed unless it was just too painful for them.

Steve

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Exactly.
I have ordered this from Amazon for 17.99
(and received it) as recently as July of this year, 2005.

Great show.
I had missed it on PBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks