Fred Dekker knows who owns "Monster Squad" & "Night of the Creeps", let's write!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    found this over at www.horrordvds.com:

I'm sending out letters tomorrow. Anyway, after much debate we at least now know which studio owns the film, Paramount has "The Monster Squad" and Sony has "Night of the Creeps."

2. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Wow, at last we know who owns these movies. I expect this news to get out pretty fast.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

It would make more sense for a company like Shout Factory to contact this person and try to license the film for DVD than a bunch of fan letters.

4. Michael Allred

Michael

Marco, you should know that movie studios rarely, if ever, license their titles to ANYONE these days. Period.

Letter writing can and DOES work. It's happened before (which I know firsthand from my own "The Return of the Living Dead" campaign from a few years ago) and it will continue to work. As I've heard from studio folk before, a hand written letter makes more of a difference than any online petition, e-mail, etc.

5. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Fans can try it but I seriously doubt it would work. These two films are highly wanted but they're still cult titles. Paramount and Sony are still sitting on several "A" titles and it seems even those are unlikely for release.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Sorry, I misread the original post.

I though these individuals actually held sole rights to the films; distribution and all. Which is why I suggested a third party stepping in to handle a release. I didn't realize Sony and Paramount had a hand in these.

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    If each studio receives a few hundred thousand letters, I'm fairly sure they'd take notice.

8. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

So me and Marc Edward was correct as we been speculating Paramount controls MONSTER SQUAD thru Spelling's company.

If it means anything, someone at the lab that holds the negatives to NIGHT OF THE CREEPS told me Sony did a new HiDef master awhile back, and it's been making the cable TV rounds recently, so hopefully that is good news.

9. Steve Warren

Steve Warren Auditioning

The Hi-Def transfer is good news, but I'm not sure how much. Sony is starting up a horror themed channel, so the transfer may be intended for that service. Night of the Creeps, along with a host of unreleased AIP films - I'm thinking the dead in the water next batch of Midnight Movies - could be used as a selling point. Advertising a huge selection of titles unavailable on DVD could make for a nice bullet-point.

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I really doubt Sumner Redstone would be the appropriate person to write about Monster Squad just because Viacom has the rights.

11. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The Monster Channel and Dish's VOOM HD has shown MOnster Squad several times in HD. Cropped to 16:9, unfortunatly. I looked pretty good, though.

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Michael Streeter, wrote:
    Agreed. It it is with Viacom, then it would be best to contact Paramount. The thing is, if it has been shown on HDTV channel, then that can only mean that Paramount created that HD master and that they probably plan to release a DVD - probably in October, for Halloween. Dekker ought to contact someone at Paramount Home Video...

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I would love to write a letter for Monster Squad. But, I also think Sumner Redstone is not the appropriate person to mail it too. Maybe, Ron or Parker can ask someone at Paramount about this?

14. Michael Allred

Michael
    Why wouldn't the big boss (Redstone) be the right guy to write to? Don't you think that money to be gained by a DVD release would grab his attention? Even if it were something like "Hmm, interesting. Jones! You handle those silver discs don't you? Get on this asap!"

15. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

This guys opinion or thoughts mean ZERO in this matter. This guy might have materials for a 3-disc SE but it doesn't matter because the final call is with Paramount. The bad news is that Paramount is still sitting on some "A" horror titles and they didn't release a single horror film last year.

16. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

what about an email address as well? I will do both

17. Michael Allred

Michael

Michael, I'm not following your logic here.

Viacom is the *parent* company of Paramount, yes? Redstone owns/runs Viacom so if he's the boss of bosses of that entire corporation, how can his opinion or thoughts NOT matter?

18. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    It's just not a one man call on these things so our writings would have to reach more than just one person. This one person might not even care.

I think both of these films have a small chance of being released but I wonder how many of the "upper" guys even know these films exist? Our letters might help in matters but it's going to take many people on the inside to get this done.

What I find strange is that Paramount said for years that they didn't own the film. Even when Martin Blythe was with the company he said they didn't own the title so did they just recently get the rights?

Paramount has so many other horror films that I'd just feel nervous about them really caring. The same with Sony who owns countless 80's horror films.

19. Michael Allred

Michael

Part of me agrees with you Michael but the other part believes that if everyone joins in on the effort, thousands and thousands of letters pouring into their offices will make them notice. It's happened before and I know from personal experience that it can work.

20. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    So any update here? Should we start writing Tom Lesinski (president) at Paramount Home Entertainment, or does anyone know who's in charge of the library titles there?