Fred Astaire Specials

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MichaelRU, Jul 21, 2004.

1. MichaelRU

MichaelRU Auditioning

I would like to see Fred Astaire's award-winning TV specials released on DVD. (The first one received a record NINE Emmy awards.) The specials were "An Evening With Fred Astaire" (1958), "Another Evening With Fred Astaire" (1959), "Astaire Time" (1960), and "The Fred Astaire Show" (1968). Barrie Chase, who was a close friend of Mr. Astaire and his dancing partner on all four specials, has told me that she would be willing to provide the commentary, which I think would be an invaluable addition. Not to mention the fact that Miss Chase is still a knockout!

2. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Anyone who has seen her two scenes in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" can confirm that about Barrie! [​IMG]

Fred once said that Barrie was the best dancing partner he ever had, and having seen the first "Evening With Fred Astaire" special it's easy to see why. I would love to see these specials on DVD not only for their value as outstanding musical/dance specials, but also for the fact that they are among the oldest surviving color videotape TV programs. It is really incredible to see a program from 1958 in that format when everything else we associate with that era is usually only black and white film or occasionally color film