What's new

Freaks and Geeks reviews? (1 Viewer)

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
When? Where? Someone posted in the other thread that he'd seen the promo disc and that it was great. I've read a few other things with people (not sure who they are or what their credentials are) who said that the DVDs will raise the bar by which other TV series DVDs are measured. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I can't wait til April 6th!

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the deluxe version will be sent out the same time as the regular version will be out?

Mike Slade

Second Unit
To my surprise, my collectors edition arrived in the mail today. The yearbook packaging is great. I was not expecting to get this today and when I opened it, I thought, "who has sent me a yearbook?" Anyway, It is well worth the extra money. I've only looked through it a little but what I've seen looks excellent.

Mike Slade

Second Unit
I'm not too good with reviews and I haven't had a chance to start looking through the DVDs. All I can comment on is the packaging. It is very nice. They "yearbook" itself is about 9"x11". It has 80 pages with lots of photos and information about the show. The producers really put a lot into this release. Before today I was questioning spending the extra money for the collector's edition but what they have given us is definitely worth it.

The only slightly disappointing thing is the disc themselves are in plastic sleeves and inserted in the back pages. However I suppose that was done so the book wouldn't be really thick.

Sorry I can't offer any info about the actual DVD content but it'll probably be awhile before I get a chance to dive into those. However with the amount of work they put into the packaging, I can't imagine the discs would be any less quality.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Gentlemen,

I just talked with my representative from Shout Factory, and they forgot to send out my screener copy of the set for DVDTown.com so I should have a review up by next Friday.

I have, however, seen the first disc, and can easily tell you the video and audio quality is superb, the 5.1 remix sounds decent and isn't distracting whatsoever and sounds fine, and all the music is retained from the original series.

There will be, I believe, three episodes per disc, averaging out to about two and a half hours of material per disc, add in commentaries and audio tracks and extras, and there is no problem with compression at all, at least that I have seen so far.

As for the extended version of the pilot, I couldn't tell you what was different because I never saw the show in broadcast, but it was very good.

I'll tell you straight up: if you were a fan of the show, you'll be happy with this set.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My bank account was charged for it this week, so I'm guessing I should receive it early as well.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I received my copy of the special edition today. Woohoo!

Those of you who opted for the regular edition can start regretting it now. :D I say this without even having looked at the bonus discs.

I watched and listened to everything on Disc 1 except for the "parents commentary" on "Beers and Weirs". I then watched the 4th and 5th episodes from Disc 2. Everything so far has been outstanding. The packaging is really nice, although I'll need to be pretty careful not to lose the plastic sleeves when I'm playing one of the discs. The yearbook packaging is a great idea, and they pull it off very well.

If you're even remotely interested, I recommend this set highly.

Brad

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Not really, since they can cancel their pre-order and get a limited edition since copies are still available. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'm on the fence about this. I like the yearbook, but it costs $75 more (almost three times as much) compared to the regular edition.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It's got 2 more discs of extras too, so the value-added doesn't just come from the yearbook.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I got an e-mail today from the university mail center that I got a package from UPS, meaning that it probably came on Thursday or Friday, seeing as they always lag behind by a day or two. I can't wait to pick it up!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, I got shipping notification about a half-hour ago, and ten minutes later it arrived! Talk about ultra-quick shipping :D

Awsome packaging. I can't wait to dig in and watch everything.

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Would anyone with the Special Edition be kind enough to tell me if it includes English or Spanish subtitles other than Closed Caption ones?

I would appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks