Freaks (1932) on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Schmitt, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Will it or has it been released? Can't seem to find much info on it. Amazon has it listed as not yet released with an uncertain release date. I seem to remember reading something about a Region 1 DVD release somewhere but it might have been for Region 2. Does anybody know anything?

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

About a year ago this was announced by a small company. Close to street date it was cancelled, and there's been nothing heard since. Possibly they didn't have the rights to it.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Freaks was an MGM release so the rights are owned by Warner now. The company that was going to put this out did not have the right to release it on DVD.
    I'm hoping that Warner will release some of their 1930's horror films such as Freaks, Doctor X, Mad Love, Devil Doll, Mark of the Vampire, The Mask of Fu Manchu, Mystery of the Wax Museum, The Walking Dead...ahhhhh...who am I kidding.

4. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Tom

The region 2 release is no longer available for sale. I guess the same rights issue also holds for the U.K.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Given Warner's current rate of release of older catalog titles, we should be seeing this around 2015.

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

There was a R2 disc available for a while. Unfortunately, that title seemed to have some problems and many discs, including the one I got, was labeled "Freaks" but was in reality a Mannheim Steamroller DVD demo.

Freaky.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I had the same Mannheim Steamroller issue. By the time I got it and contacted Blackstar, it had been pulled from the market....I suspect that the issuer didn't really have the rights there either. Warner is such a pain in the ass...I may not get this on disc till I'm far too old to enjoy it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

R2 DVD was, as said above, recently deleted. I almost had my mitts on it but the retailer said I was a day late and a dollar short.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

So then.. since nobody seems to have Region 1 DVD rights to Freaks, or just doesn't want to release it. What are the chances we could petition the A-Number-One horror movie restorers Anchor Bay into giving this film the Evil Dead treatment? After them I say we pester The Criterion Company about it..Look what the did for Haxan.

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

12. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Garrett

Warner owns the rights to this film. If you want to petition anyone, petition Warner. Anchor Bay will not be able to release this DVD, Warner will never allow them to.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Freaks probably needs restoration.

It's been censored in the past and it is also 70 years old. Notice how most pre-1940 films need some sort of restoration or remastering to be presentable on DVD?

I hope WB plans to remaster this title (not unlike 80% of their catalog) before releasing to DVD. The newest masters of these non-remastered films can be seen on TCM and you can tell how much work needs to be put into these titles.

After all...do we really need DVD's like Madacy's "Metropolis" ?

14. Mark Schmitt

Thanks for the news.

Warner Brothers. Wonderful. (Note sarcastic tone)

I haven't seen the film yet. I might have to watch it on TV or the (gasp) VHS rather than waiting eons for WB to release it with a restoration.

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Freaks is another of my most-wanted-on-dvd titles. Man, I wish Warner would let Anchor Bay or Criterion have it - I could think of a zillion cool extras for a Freaks dvd release...

16. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

There is a 1993 laserdisc from MGM that's pretty good - it includes the happy ending.

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I have the same LD. Waiting for WB to release this title will be an exercise in frustration.

18. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd like to add that WB should make a "box set" with all of Tod Browning's MGM films (The Unknown, The Unholy Three, The Devil-Doll, Freaks, and Mark of the Vampire).

WB really should make "double feature" releases (like New Line's John Waters double-features and Universal's double-features)

A Tod Browning collection would take up barely 2 DVD-9's.

20. Mark Schmitt