Freaks (1932) DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lyle H., Mar 9, 2004.

1. Lyle H.

Lyle H. Stunt Coordinator

Last year, they said Freaks is coming in 2004. Creepy Classics.com reported that it would be coming in August 2004. The Warner sales rep said the sales sheets are already printed. "Now it's being worked on"...What's the deal?!

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    What's the hurry? "It's being worked on" may just mean they don't want to get into a bind by saying when.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

It sounded to me like it was imminent. I believe the wording said that it was "In Production". WB also offered this information voluntarily and was not spurred on by a question.

I'll bet that we see this before the end of the year and possibly by Halloween.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I saw a stunning 35mm print last Halloween at a Horror film fest in Columbus, OH. I can't wait for the DVD!

5. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

It was released in region4 Australia recently...

You can buy it here

But there's no extras as far as I can tell.

6. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

At least we know it's definitely coming, and sooner rather than later. I can wait a little longer.

7. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

That Australian DVD is a bootleg. BEWARE![​IMG]

8. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

What a disgrace!

Thanks for the heads up Roger...

9. SamuelScott

SamuelScott Auditioning

Anybody got any idea if there will be extras for this release. I own the deleted UK VHS of this great film and would really like to upgrade (although I'll keep my VHS).

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, if Warner says without prompting that it's coming I read that to mean sooner as opposed to later. I got burned on the R2 Freaks---got one of the discs that is actually Mannheim Steamroller ([​IMG]) --and it was OOP before I could get it exchanged, if there ever were any good ones. My recollection is that it was suspected to be a bootleg anyway, so serves me right. [​IMG]

11. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

From what they said in the chat it is coming as part of this years Halloween promotion.

12. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

Very excited for this. I hope they clean up the audio (or add optional subtitles); the last time I saw this on Turner Classics, it was barely audible.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Can't wait for this either! Hopefully it will have some documentary footage. They could also use stills of the photography exhibit that inspired the movie (I can't remember the name of the photographer, it is mentioned in David Skalls book, "The Monster Show" which is a great read for those interested in classic horror.)

This is a movie that definatly deserves to be a special edition!

14. Russ Lucas

Russ Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I'm a little perplexed by that chat response. Yeah, it's a Tod Browning film, but it's neither a horror film nor a Halloween film. They should release it some other time of the year. Like...now! [​IMG]

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I think it's considered a horror film because of the ending. You have to admit it's pretty creepy.

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

It's definitely a horror film. Although throughout most of the film Browning doesn't try to portray the Freaks in a horrific way, the ending enters all the way into horror territory.

I would have liked to have asked in the chat if Warner was planning on releasing any more horror films from the 1930's such as:

Devil Doll, The
    Doctor X
    Mad Love
    Mark of the Vampire
    Mask of Fu Manchu, The
    The Walking Dead

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm curious as to what the running time will be. At least I have my LD to watch until it is released.

18. David Di

David Di Extra

To the person who said the Aussie release was a BOOTLEG doesnt know what he is talking about. Ezydvd are a very legite DVD store. The biggest in Australia and THEY DO NOT SELL BOOTLEGS. Gets your facts straight first.

19. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    I wouldn't say it's horror film, although it certainly has horrific overtones. It falls into that "weird" category.

While not his most famous (that's reserved for DRACULA) or even his best (THE UNKNOWN and other Chaney vehicles win hands down), FREAKS is certainly one of those "must see" films. Truly one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. It has quite a cult following too, which is probably why it's getting this SE treatment from WB.

No doubt there'll be a photo gallery (along with stills of deleted scenes), a trailer, perhaps a commentary. I can't think that there's that much material about this film, since it was pretty much banished most places and the studio really tore apart its distribution. They could certainly show some footage from his other existing films, perhaps even putting on the MGM tour film of 1925, which has footage of him directing THE CIRCUS.

I'm rather enthusiastic about seeing a release of his first venture with Lon Chaney, 1919's THE WICKED DARLING. It's one of the few existing Chaney films I haven't seen yet (although it will be playing here in NY later this month). I know there was some discussion of it being released through Film Preservation Associates through Image, but that apparently didn't materialize.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I have never seen this but will buy this as this is Todd Browning were talking about