Freakin' Toronto Job Market

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shayne Lebrun, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Sigh.

So the other day, I'm cruising Monster.ca and I see a sweet posting for a systems admin. So I go to apply, but there be no addy, no email address, the company is confidental, AND they don't have an 'apply online' link. Ooops.

So I copy an 'apply online' link from another job, change the jobID to the one in question, and apply anyway. I'm thinking 'Hey, that's pretty clever. Ought to give me a bit of a boost.' Hell, I even emailed them to tell them all this.

Well, today I notice that they've fixed the thing, as it's now got an 'apply online' link. But not even an email of 'thanks for pointing that out.' Let alone 'Hey, that's a pretty clever little hack, come on down for an interview!'

Of course, any market when C++ programmers with many many years of experience are selling HP Pavillions over at Future Shop is a bad market to begin with....

2. Derrick Lee

Derrick Lee Extra

Tell me about it. I've been looking since early December, and I've had a total of 2 interviews so far. One of them was a referral from an ex-manager to boot. In one of those interviews the HR person was downright condescending to me, telling me I was not hardcore/experienced enough for the job (I have a little less than 3 years work experience). I didn't even get far enough to get seen by a technical person. Why did they call me in the first place?
    It's a buyer's market right now, and they are really taking advantage of it. It takes them extra long to reply to messages, and most of them don't bother to tell you if they don't want you. I guess it's payback for when employees were in demand. [​IMG]
    Hopefully things will look up in the next few months. I sure hope so; I'm getting tired of not having a job.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Yup. One of the interviews I *did* manage to actually get, the guy mentioned they had over 800 applications. Yikes.

4. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

Sounds like the market in lots of places. I think you can take "Toronto" out of the title. [​IMG]
    I hardly ever hear back after applying online; sometimes I wonder if my info was even sent to the company, or if the advertised job exists.

5. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

I got laid off today.

I've had 4 jobs since I started working profesionally and I've been laid off from all of them. The previous time I was laid off was in Jan of 2001. I'm getting sick of this freaking IT job market.