What's new

Pre-Order Frasier: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We requested a review copy but one has not yet arrived - if one does arrive I will gladly report my impressions of it.
Do you ever get the Allied Vaughn MOD titles in advance for review? Unless I'm mistaken even AV rarely gets the discs more than a few days before they have to be ready to
send to the Wholesalers/Retailers who sell them

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just started watching The Apparent Trap on BluRay. The volume is at a higher level than the DVD. The BluRay set has English subtitles- the DVDs do not. Of course the text on the screen is much sharper than on the DVD. The color isn’t noticeably more vibrant, and the image may be a bit soft and maybe a little grainy, but it’s not heavily blurry like on the DVD. Next, I’ll be watching the season 6 episode First, Do No Harm. I know the image is a bit jumpy on the DVD.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Just started watching The Apparent Trap on BluRay. The volume is at a higher level than the DVD. The BluRay set has English subtitles- the DVDs do not. Of course the text on the screen is much sharper than on the DVD. The color isn’t noticeably more vibrant, and the image may be a bit soft and maybe a little grainy, but it’s not heavily blurry like on the DVD. Next, I’ll be watching the season 6 episode First, Do No Harm. I know the image is a bit jumpy on the DVD.

Thank you for sharing. I am very curious about the early seasons as they look very soft on DVD IMO.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thank you for sharing. I am very curious about the early seasons as they look very soft on DVD IMO.
Will put on a couple episodes from the early years next. I guess I’ll try the Dinner At Eight episode- season 1, episode 3. The season 6 episodes First, Do No Harm and Dial M For Martin look very nice.

Dinner At Eight- a tad grainy, but the contrasts are fine. I really like what I’m seeing so far in this set. 👍

Another episode from the first season- Give Him The Chair. Similar to the other episode- a tad grainy, but sharp enough.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Will put on a couple episodes from the early years next. I guess I’ll try the Dinner At Eight episode- season 1, episode 3. The season 6 episodes First, Do No Harm and Dial M For Martin look very nice.

Dinner At Eight- a tad grainy, but the contrasts are fine. I really like what I’m seeing so far in this set. 👍

Another episode from the first season- Give Him The Chair. Similar to the other episode- a tad grainy, but sharp enough.

Dinner at Eight is a really good episode.

Again, I sincerely appreciate you sharing.

In your opinion, did they go back and rescan the original film for this release? I realize you can not know for sure, but I am interested in your impressions.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Dinner at Eight is a really good episode.

Again, I sincerely appreciate you sharing.

In your opinion, did they go back and rescan the original film for this release? I realize you can not know for sure, but I am interested in your impressions.
I appreciate your kind words. I don’t know film processing like others here at this site do, but what’s important to me is this set is a noticeable improvement over the old DVDs, which I have never cared for due to some horrendous blurriness.

Now watching the final episode from season 2- Dark Victory. The one where 1/2 the show is in very dim light. The dark scenes look fine, and I’m pretty sure that they look much better, if anyone would do a direct comparison to the DVD.

I guess I can sum up my opinions with this- if anyone is looking for lots of color in these episodes, they’ll be disappointed. If anyone is looking for a solid presentation of what was intended, they’ll be satisfied.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I got notification that my copy shipped and estimated to arrive between the 22nd and 28th. I hope it arrives early. I would enjoy seeing the Thanksgiving episode with Lilith where she and Frasier try to get Freddy into the exclusive school. :)
Watching this episode now. Looks fine.

Now watching the season 5 episode Voyage Of The Damned. Looks really nice. Seems the first 2 seasons episodes are a little more grainy than the following seasons.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My wish came true, the Frasier Blu ray set arrived today! But I was too busy with meetings and work to check it out. Hopefully I can take time later this week to check out the set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last night I had a chance to watch two episodes from the first season, Coffee with Niles and Dinner at Eight. The new transfers do look great! I compared to the DVD’s. I had ripped the entire series from the DVDs and ripped the entire first season blu ray. So it was easy to do an A-B comparison. The fine fabrics in the clothing and detail of fine hairs on the cast is very visible. I’d always wondered if the brick walls in Cafe Nervosa was simply wall paper glued to the set walls. I’m still not sure yet but I’ll keep watching. 😀

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
One thing I did notice was about the season 7 episode Whine Club- on the DVD, when Anthony Heald’s character taps a glass to get everyone’s attention, that sound definitely comes out of the left speaker. On the BluRay, that sound seems to come out of the center speaker. I wonder if the audio is more centered on the BluRays, compared to the DVDs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The review copy for HTF just arrived and I will endeavor to have an official review as soon as possible. I have spent the morning sampling episodes from the first two seasons and comparing them to the old standard definition masters (on both DVD and streaming) and it’s a major upgrade visually.

The show is all about writing and performance so in that sense the old versions were perfectly fine for what they were. But it’s really wonderful seeing those performances without old video noise and artifacts from outdated post-production techniques.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to your review Josh! You are right though that the show is about the writing and performances. The jokes are well written. The improved video doesn’t make the show funnier. But it does look great. I look forward to see more episodes and to see the detail on the sets!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Are all of the special features on the DVD set included on the Blu-Ray set?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Are all of the special features on the DVD set included on the Blu-Ray set?

It looks like we’ve got special features for seasons 1, 2, 3 & 11, which I think is all that was on DVD. I don’t have the original DVDs anymore to check against, just the Christmas compilation DVD.

Hoping to have a full review up within a week!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m watching the Christmas and Thanksgiving Hoilday epsiodes on the new Blu ray set. Today I watched Frasier Grinch. I never noticed before that there is a picture of Eddie with the Santa hat on the fireplace mantle after Martin had done up Frasier’s apartment with the Christmas decorations! That was fun to see the little sight gags on the set. The improved resolution must have made that much more obvious!

And I re-watched A Lilith Thanksgiving where Frasier and Lilith try to get Frederick into the Marbury Academy. I still get a kick out the Oscar Meir joke as well as the indignities poor Frederick endures.

What’s interesting to see is how different the child actor is who plays Frederick in Frasier Grinch verse the actor they hire after in A Lilith Thanksgiving. Completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks