What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Pre-Order Frasier: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
131862_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Pre-ordered, using the link. Thanks Ron.
This is a must have for me- love the show, and I have never liked the video quality of the DVDs.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pre-ordered, using the link. Thanks Ron.
This is a must have for me- love the show, and I have never liked the video quality of the DVDs.

Same.

But, I'm waiting to hear on PQ. I don't want to buy a set where the first 2/3rds looks like crap. I already have the DVDs for that. Plus, pages are saying BD-R, though the Blu-ray logo on it pretty much rules that out. But that PQ question is too big to make a commitment without some reviews first.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Same.

But, I'm waiting to hear on PQ. I don't want to buy a set where the first 2/3rds looks like crap. I already have the DVDs for that. Plus, pages are saying BD-R, though the Blu-ray logo on it pretty much rules that out. But that PQ question is too big to make a commitment without some reviews first.
I’m expecting similar to what Friends looks like, which is acceptable to me.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Friends was remastered, Frasier AFAIK has not.
While there hasn't been any reported evidence that it has been transferred to HD, it would seem odd for CBS/Paramount to go the approach of SD upconverts for a blu-ray release of a TV series, at least for the first 9 seasons. Based on what CBS/Paramount has done in the past, I would tend to go with these being new true HD transfers, but I wouldn't bite on ordering until it has been verified.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While there hasn't been any reported evidence that it has been transferred to HD, it would seem odd for CBS/Paramount to go the approach of SD upconverts for a blu-ray release of a TV series, at least for the first 9 seasons. Based on what CBS/Paramount has done in the past, I would tend to go with these being new true HD transfers, but I wouldn't bite on ordering until it has been verified.
Yeah, they don't have to announce everything, and a revival has been in the works so it's not implausible that they decided to spruce up the original series. And since the revival has been delayed, well, might as well start shoving out those new HD remasters.

But we need verification first before buying.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I really doubt this will be SD upscales. Just because it's currently that way on Paramount+ doesn't mean that they haven't done work behind the scenes to upgrade this.

We'll just have to wait and see.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I really doubt this will be SD upscales. Just because it's currently that way on Paramount+ doesn't mean that they haven't done work behind the scenes to upgrade this.

We'll just have to wait and see.
I agree. While I recall previously that TAGS and MI were both available streaming in HD prior to the blu-ry releases, I don't recall CBS/Paramount previously putting out SD upconverts out on blu-ray before. So, it would appear something has changed in this case. Either they decided to try the upconverts route for a blu-ray release or putting new HD transfers out on disk prior to making them available on streaming. To me, the second just seems more plausible, especially given that this is a series they would want to future proof in HD for future streaming, so why put out a questionable blu-ray release that likely won't get a lot of traction. Maybe they figure sales of those previous series on blu-ray were hurt by the fact they were available for a while on streaming first, so they want to try a different approach?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, this is unexpected! I thoroughly enjoyed the complete series on the DVD releases. I hate to rebuy the series, but it’s a good series.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone get this set yet? I am interested in knowing if the discs are pressed or burned.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some of the questions that have been asked a lot since the preorder are starting to get answered

I THINK this is what I've found so far
1) Confirmed the discs are all pressed.
2) Each season is in it's own case inside the outer slipbox
3) S1-9 are OAR 4:3. S10 and S11 are OAR 16:9. S10 does not use the open matte 4:3 version the DVD do. S11 was 16:9 and the DVD used a 4:3 center cropped version.
FWIW I believe this poster

PQ so far has been reported as very good (or better)

4) I have not yet found someone check/report it's region status though Warner is almost always Region Free. EDIT: 1st report of set tested on Region B player says Region Free
5) This appears to be backordered almost everywhere

MovieZyng lists it as in-stock (that hasn't always been 100% correct with MZ) and around $117 shipped (no sales tax outside IL) with 10% off Promo SAFEOPT10 (all caps)

Lowest price appears to be MoviesUnlimited around $85+tax with 25% off code MU22NOV though it's also listed backordered 15-45 days. Movie Unlimited is another of the DeepDiscount, importCds storefronts of ALLIANCE Ent (DirectToU, LLC)

131862_1_original.jpg

Now the anal-retentives can argue about how the spines are different and throw up their hands in disgust deciding whether it's worth the horror

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Amazon sent me an e mail that my copy has shipped. Will post a couple of thoughts (I intend to look at the season 7 episode The Apparent Trap first- that episode looks especially dreadful on the DVD, in my opinion).

Thank you, David for posting a picture of the packaging. The color coding is very similar to the colors they used for the DVD individual seasons. I prefer the seasons being packaged this way to a huge bundle where you have to flip through a binder to find the disc you want to watch.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got notification that my copy shipped and estimated to arrive between the 22nd and 28th. I hope it arrives early. I would enjoy seeing the Thanksgiving episode with Lilith where she and Frasier try to get Freddy into the exclusive school. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgrhorton
Recent bookmarks