What's new

Frasier - Pilot (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm just the opposite. I could never understand why "Cheers" was so popular. I watched it a few times, but was never really a fan or regular viewer. But I love "Frasier" and would probably put it in my Top American TV comedies of all time.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Frasier is one of my favorite shows of all time. I was on a business trip with some colleagues and we went to a restaurant together for dinner. I ordered wine for the table, but when I tasted it, it was "corked", so I sent it back. My co-workers thought I was just doing it for show (I wasn't, the wine was terrible) and they started calling me "Frasier" which became my nickname for quite some time.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same boat. I just felt that "Fraiser" Fraiser wasn't reallly the same as "Cheers" Fraiser and that kind of turned me off to it. The "Frasier" Frasier doesn't seems like a person who would have ever have hung out at Cheers. Plus I found the show in general to be a bit on the pretentious side.

Just so you know, every star of "Cheers" appeared at one time or another on "Frasier" -- with the sole exception of Rebecca Howe (and she was referenced in the ep that Sam appeared in.) And his ex-wife on "Cheers" , Lilith, appeared at least once a season. So, "Yes-" this Fraser definitely recognized and acknowledged his "Cheers" roots.

That being said, after his move to Seattle he *did* become even more pretentious than he was on "Cheers"; but most people consider that to be an asset to the show. (Seeing the supercilious and intelligent Frasier get into some of the dumbest situations ever portrayed on film was unquestionably part of the charm of the show!)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
One of my favorite "must see" shows back in the day. I started recording re-runs recently to relive the old days of truly fun and smart TV.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just so you know, every star of "Cheers" appeared at one time or another on "Frasier" -- with the sole exception of Rebecca Howe (and she was referenced in the ep that Sam appeared in.) And his ex-wife on "Cheers" , Lilith, appeared at least once a season. So, "Yes-" this Fraser definitely recognized and acknowledged his "Cheers" roots.

That being said, after his move to Seattle he *did* become even more pretentious than he was on "Cheers"; but most people consider that to be an asset to the show. (Seeing the supercilious and intelligent Frasier get into some of the dumbest situations ever portrayed on film was unquestionably part of the charm of the show!)

True (and I'm sure those guest appearances didn't hurt when it came to ratings). But I still didn't see him as the same guy who would willingly associate with people like Norm and Cliff (and even when they did appear on Fraiser didn't Frasier run into them by accident?) or participate in a stupid bar contest. Some of the funniest bits in Cheers were the times when Frasier would try to enlighten his fellow barflies in some manner but ultimately had to resign himself to the inevitable chaos that followed.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
But I still didn't see him as the same guy who would willingly associate with people like Norm and Cliff
Something to be said for that. In Cheers, Frazier drank beer. I don't think he drank beer on one episode of Frazier. Also, as I recall his back story was changed on Frazier from what it was on Cheers.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Something to be said for that. In Cheers, Frazier drank beer. I don't think he drank beer on one episode of Frazier. Also, as I recall his back story was changed on Frazier from what it was on Cheers.

I remember he said his father was dead on Cheers, but that was easily enough explained on Frasier. Took two lines, IIRC.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Frasier couldn't be absolutely, 100% faithful to the Frasier on Cheers but they came close. IMHO, Frasier is the better show. However, no matter how good or how bad a show is, you're not going to get 100% about a show. That would be dull after a while if we all liked/disliked the same things.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Frasier couldn't be absolutely, 100% faithful to the Frasier on Cheers but they came close. IMHO, Frasier is the better show. However, no matter how good or how bad a show is, you're not going to get 100% about a show. That would be dull after a while if we all liked/disliked the same things.

Great post.

One of the things I liked about Frasier is that, like real life, characters change over time. Kelsey got 20 years older and so did Frasier. The show did a nice job showing how his life, and those around him, progressed over the years and they did it fairly realistically. I am not the same person I was 20 years ago, not even close.

I know BD isn't going to happen, but this is a series that deserves a better DVD release than it got. An ideal release would use fresh transfers from OCN and come with SDH. This is the first show I ever binge watched on my DVR and I can watch episodes repeatedly and never get tired of them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great post.

One of the things I liked about Frasier is that, like real life, characters change over time. Kelsey got 20 years older and so did Frasier. The show did a nice job showing how his life, and those around him, progressed over the years and they did it fairly realistically. I am not the same person I was 20 years ago, not even close.

I know BD isn't going to happen, but this is a series that deserves a better DVD release than it got. An ideal release would use fresh transfers from OCN and come with SDH. This is the first show I ever binge watched on my DVR and I can watch episodes repeatedly and never get tired of them.
I'm currently working my way slowly through the series on Netflix now. I only watched a handful of episodes during its run. Always liked it, just didn't make time for it then. I'm starting season three now.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
That was the norm (NORM) for the era.

But maybe not. Cheers was all film, which is why it was easily remastered in '01. Maybe the spinoff fared as well.

Plus, a look on IMDB lists no video people, just film editors in the crew.

I wasn't saying that any of it was shot on video, just that it is more likely than not that the episodes (particularly in the earliest seasons) were edited/assembled on NTSC tape rather than 35mm film. Editing on film was mostly done away with by the mid-80s, replaced with the speed/ease of editing on tape. I'm certain editing on HD video would not have been a possibility in 1993 (when the show premiered), so I will still maintain that although possible the show was edited on film, it's far more likely that it was edited on tape, at least the first several seasons.

Maybe the producers of this show were more forward-thinking, but as someone else said, the title cards are video-generated, so it all depends on whether the episode was completely edited/assembled and the titles just keyed-in at the end of the process, or whether the episodes were assembled on tape.

If the latter, then yes, the episodes would have to be re-assembled from scratch (like Next Generation), however, unlike Trek, there wouldn't be a ton of FX to re-do, just the assembly of the episodes themselves, and re-rendering the titles. Still a fair amount of work, though.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

He did more than once, but it certainly wasn't a big thing. Usually it was to do something with his Dad.
When they were sitting in Duke;s as it was about to be torn down (and Frasier was part of the investment group that was involved) they were drinking Martin's 6 pack.

I was a charter member of the Cheers brigade though remember it took about 1/2 season or more before the show hit home with me. Frasier I almost never saw until I started watching it on Hallmark running 6 episodes a night. I think I've seen all of them 3-4 times now. I absolutely love the shows with Lilith and even more so the handful of Bebe shows. Jane Leeves was just spectacular as he character evolved over the years.

One of favorite lines for S11 and realizing just have few people can claim this for nighttime/primetime TV (not soaps or talk shows)

Nanette is in Frasier's house and she tries to explain her disdain for carrying on her role as Nanny G

Nanette: Do you have any idea what it's like to play the same character for twenty years?!

I think he's credited with close 470 episodes as Frasier Crane with the 2 shows combined plus a Wings episodes and possibly some other crossovers.
James Arness got 635 on Gunsmoke was the most I could come up with (Doc and Kitty also over 500).

Epatha Merkerson got 390 for Law and Order
Mariska Hargitay is at 411 and counting
Ozzie Nelson at least 435 episodes

Surely there are some more at 500, but it just beyond rare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks