Frasier in HDTV: What's up with this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kaz, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

I finally bought an HDTV receiver this past week and have been watching a lot of "over the air" HD programs. So far I'm less than impressed. While some shows look great (Hack, Still Standing & A.U.S.A) others like Everybody Loves Raymond and Crossing Jordan look mediocre at best.

But worst of all is Frasier. Not only is it grainy and dull looking, but it's a 4:3 screen CROPPED! I checked this using my PIP. What is the point of showing something in HDTV if it's not even made for it?

Very disappointed so far.

P.S. Pay-Per-View HD is awesome though!

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I think the people who don't want to be seen in pure HD glory have filters put in place; I'm dying to see what everyone looks like during the Oscars! Think they'll have gauze strung over the HD cameras?

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The "right" approach would be to not compromise the framing at all, and black bar 16x9 framed content on SDTV 4x3 broadcasts and sidebar 4x3 framed content on HDTV 16x9 broadcasts.

6. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

No. The right approach is a TV with flexible plasma panels that stretch to accomodate the aspect ratio of the source program.

7. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Do you have that PBS channel that continuously plays beautiful vistas from around the world? That'll impress you, I think. I'm mesmerized by it. Also, I watched Smallville in HDTV tonight. I had never seen the show, and found it interesting. It's going to be tough to buy the DVD season sets, though, seeing as how the resolution will be much lower. That brings up an interesting question: will you buy a show broadcast in HDTV on DVD, or will you wait for HD-DVD? I guess it makes more sense to get the DVDs. It's going to be a long time before HD-DVD, so you'd get a lot of usage out of the discs over the years. Also, there's no guarantee the show will be rereleased in season sets on HD-DVD. After all, Smallville (and other shows) may be popular now, but who knows if there'll be a market for them in a few years. And, assuming the market is still there, will it support a replacement for the existing sets?

9. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Brian, have you seen any sports in HD? That should knock your socks off. Some of the CBS shows on Monday are nice looking (Still Standing, Yes Dear etc.etc.)
    Cheers.

10. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

Like I said in my post, I have seen some great looking stuff. But the majority of it has been mediocre. The best looking stuff I have seen so far has been on HDNet and HD Pay per view.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The NBC affiliate has to broadcast "something" on their HDTV channel output, so they just broadcast the SDTV (Standard definition) version of shows that are not shot in HD. It still looks better than my analog Cable TV feed, so I'm grateful when I do watch the HDTV channel for NBC (or the other networks that have affiliates that do broadcast in HD.

I think everything that my UPN affiliate puts out is SDTV on their HDTV broadcast channel.

It bums me out that Angel (on the WB) is "cropped" to a letterbox format, so it looks even smaller on a 16x9 monitor. Enterprise is also the same way on UPN.

But Smallville looks glorious in its pure HDTV goodness. [​IMG]

We are still in HDTV's infancy. Over time, more and more shows will by shot in HD, and broadcast in HD as well. Have patience.

12. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Oh, great. I was planning to watch Enterprise tonight in all its HDTV glory. Guess it'll be a let-down after Smallville.

The PBS channel I mentioned showed a short clip from a baseball game, and it was incredible. Is there a channel on DirectTV (other than Center Ice) that shows Dallas Stars games in HD? The local station that runs Stars games doesn't broadcast in HD, unfortunately.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ed is in HDTV glory, if you really needed a HDTV fix over Enterprise. Ed looks really nice because of the color palette of the show.

14. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    It seemed pretty kind to the girl who plays Lana on Smallville. I've never seen her before last night, and I came in late, so I don't know her name.

16. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Kristin Kreuk. She's young.

HD does reveal more flaws, especially on shows like The Tonight Show, where they may not have their regular people doing the full wash and wax.

//Ken

17. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

What's funny is the crap you look at that you would normally never even bother to look at on a regular broadcast. Watching HACK, there was a guy talking in a jail cell and I wasn't even paying attention to him. My eyes were drawn to how detailed the wall texture was and that's all I was watching.