What's new

Frasier: Final Season (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I respectfully disagree. Many people miss out on discounting if they don't buy between Tuesday and Sunday of the first week. To put out 8 boxed sets IS to exclude some people.
This killed me on Star Trek.
I like the 6-months release pattern that Fox uses better. Sure there are shows I'd love to get more quickly, and some I'd make room for, but 8 in a day is excessive.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member

You make a very good point there, although there have been a number of times I'd have saved on DVDs (including TV titles) if I hadn't purchased them right away.

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
It should have been ready to go by next week. September 21st? What's the point by then?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Not that there would be many of these people, but I'd have to think that if someone were buying this series blind and not watching any in sindication, that they'd have to pass on this release also, or else some big plot points would be spoiled for them. I'll buy it, but I'd rather it have been Season 4.

Oh, and releasing 8 box sets for a series at once would be disaster, talk about instant market over saturation.

I suspect that the way the Dick Van Dyke show was handled that it is the acception not the rule.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member

Since I'm the one who brought that up, let me make it clear that I agree completely. I think it would be a terrible business decision. I just meant that I, personally, as a consumer, would love it.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

Malcolm you could buy season 11 when it comes out, thus taking advantage of the discounts of the first week of release, and just leave it on your shelf, unopened until the other seasons are released and in your collection. Mind you, this is only a suggestion. ;)

That is my intention, since I missed most of season 11. :angry:

I was aggravated, being a big fan of Frasier, that the finale of Friends was so overhyped, as though the nation would never recover from the "loss" of Friends that Frasier almost went out unnoticed. As I understand it, Kelsey Grammer and some of the other Frasier cast members were quite upset about that, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Wasn't it Grammer's choice? I'd think NBC would have been more than happy to have them back for another season since they were losing "Friends," but I thought Grammer said, "No."

They knew a year ahead of time that it was going to be "Friends" last season, so they should have continued on for another year. Then they'd have May 2005 all to themselves.

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
They did used to have that "Hi-Definition Where Available" at the beginning of each episodes during the last season.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

What I think the original quote was in reference to was that a lot of the cast of Frasier was miffed that Friends got way my hype than Frasier did. In fact, NBC ruffled the feathers of a lot of people when they declared Friends to be the funniest show of all time, they released a written statement apologizing to the cast of Frasier, Sienfeld, Cheers, M*A*S*H, The Cosby Show and other shows, and pulled that particular line out of advertising.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with Friends getting more hype, the projected ratings for the finale as well as the fact that Friends was higher rated than Frasier made focusing the hype on that show a smart business decision. But hey, I'm a fan of both shows.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

ANOTHER thing we most definitely agree on, Lynda-Marie!:) "Friends" was a ratings horse for NBC that was ridden into-the-ground hard by network marketing for the last eight years of its run. The general feeling, I believe, at NBC upper management was that there was always a broader audience for that sitcom than for the "smart comedy" of "Frasier." Of course, that never hurt its predecessor, "Cheers," but...c'est la vie.

"Friends"??? "The funniest show of all time"?!?! Now THAT is funny--certainly funnier than anything I ever saw on the show! Really, I can name five funnier series in my sleep. "The Simpsons" also may have something to say about that. And this is not to start debate on funny shows or anything...just my opinion that the only top spot "Friends" may ever take in TV history is of "Most Overhyped of All Time." Martin, Niles, Daphne and the Dr. were miles above Chandler, Rachel, Phoebe and Joey in every way.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I finally finished the set tonight. First I was amazed by the quality of this last season. I was expecting it to be less good, but if the previous seasons are the same, it’s impressive that they have maintained a constant quality through the years. It’s unlike Friends where I feel the quality dropped around season 6-7.

Also about the Frasier series finale. I’m very satisfied with it; it was both moving and satisfying; again better than the Friends finale.

Frasier has been one of my most satisfying findings in HTF. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I have a question for those of you who have this set. I've been reading various reviews on the net and none of them mention the "Analyzing The Laughter" special which aired immediately before the series' finale in which Fred Willard took part. I was almost certain this would've been included, since I found it to be very in-depth and interesting to watch. Not to mention it would've made a great addition!

So can anyone tell me if this is included or not? I'd very much like to know. I still plan on purchasing it regardless, but I think it would be a crying shame to leave it off, especially being the final season and all.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
And they total about half an hour. Good stuff, but Paramount could have done so much more for this set.

With regard to the framing: I watched season 11 in w/s when it first aired. Having now watched the DVDs, they play perfectly fine in 4:3 - in fact, as a whole, the episodes look better in 4:3, IMHO. There are only a handful of shots in the whole season which looked better in w/s (for example, Frasier in his booth at KACL near the end of the finale).

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Thank you both for your responses. I thought the inclusion of "Analyzing The Laughter" would've been a no-brainer, being the final season and all. At this rate, I sort of have doubts that it will be included as a special feature on any future sets, since it was meant to coincide with the show's finale. Like I said, it doesn't change my decision either way. I'm definitely getting this set. It just would've been nice to have that. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks