What's new

Frasier: Final Season (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
TheDigitalBits is reporting today that Paramount will release Frasier: The Final Season on 9/21. This is pretty impressive. I for one am all for it.

I would have happily waited to get Frasier 11 after 3-10 arrived, but I'm just as happy to pick this one up ASAP. It'll be a treat to watch the final season again in 16x9.

What do you all think of this release pattern?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
WHAT? WHAT! Final season (and not just the final episode) before all the other seasons!!!!

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Im confused there going to release the final season after only 3 seasons and not release the other 7 seasons?. This makes no sense, if there so anixous in selling the final season just to capitalize on the series finale than why not release a single release like the friends series finale.

-Mike

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
1, 2, 3, 11?

No, I don't think we'll only be getting 4 seasons...although I've got to be honest I'm not sure I'm a fan of this move, I like the Friends approach better. Of course in that case, the Finale on the single disc, and the 1 in the season 10 set will be different with the bonus content.

Jeff Harris

Agent
Could be an interesting sales idea to capture public interest in the Frasier series: release the season that's still fresh in the public's mind, and make them want to go back and grab the older seasons. Might be for the more casual viewer, or for those who came on at a later date.

Jeff

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I feel confident that Paramount will go back and release 4-10. I think they are just experimenting with releasing this most recent season.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've had some inkling of this since March, but it wasn't for-sure yet so I kept my mouth shut. But what I learned at the time was that the thought was to release the final season at a time when it could be leveraged against the show's being aired, and then resume the Frasier-Cheers duo release pattern that they've had all along. I guess they went ahead and decided to do that. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't kept my mouth shut...in retrospect, I would have looked brilliant. :wink:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, wether I like the move or not, I am interested to see how it works out...although a part of me wishes that if they had done this with Frasier that they'd drop Cheers S11 on the same day, but I know that if they want the fresh season out there for the public, that disqualifies Cheers since 11 years isn't exactly fresh.

Hey, its coming out the same day as Star Wars I see.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I was really worried when Season 11 was announced that they were going to cut the Frasier series short like they did Mary Tyler Moore.

Thankfully that is not the case.

Paul

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
i think this is a better move. now I can buy season 11 and watch it right away and pick up 4-10 later. IF they did one of those lame friends releases then I would have to wait cause I wont buy individual episodes when season sets are comming.

personally I find it pointless to release individual episodes or best ofs of any show. this just leaves you wanting more and disapointed when watching it years later. Only way to do it I say is to release season sets or series sets.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Are you sure this so-called 11th season isn't being mistaken with this:

This was posted on tvshowsondvd.com just last week. Are we 100% certain that it is in fact the final season of 'Frasier' as opposed to the final episode. Seems to make a hell of a lot more sense, don't you think?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have to agree with Andrew. Putting out Season 11 before Seasons 4-10 makes zero sense to me.

Why would I want S11 if I don't have the rest of them first?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member

That makes sense with serialized dramas, but I think most people are used to watching sitcoms completely out of sequence thanks to syndication. I also think that more recent episodes of long-running shows might appeal to some people compared to the older "I've seen that one a thousand times" episodes. I don't know if this experiment will be a success, but it's an interesting idea. I'm rooting for them.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
The whole idea, to me, with releasing shows to dvd in continuity is to agonize over the long wait for that final season, but wanting to get the others before first. This sales idea is rubbing me THE WRONG WAY!

But, who's to say that my opinion works? I'm from the peanut gallery!;)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they were able to get the cast and crew to participate heavily in this release, and to provide retrospectives for seasons 4-10 when they arrive.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I'm confused too by Paramount's description of the release as "Season 11" and the article instead saying the releese was "the final episode". But the fact is that Gord called someone at Par we all pretty much know, and read him the list, and it's not like he corrected Gord on that title. And that list we got was NOT from what Robert Harris posted here at HTF...we had a TV-only list a few hours earlier from a completely different source. So, if you include my source from March, we've got 3 sources saying "Season 11" and a mag article that focused on the final episode of Frasier, from a writer who was thinking that Frasier would be handled like Friends was, who said "final episode" rather than "final season". Frankly, I think the writer was in error. That's just my opinion though, but the evidence *seems* to support that opinion. Time will tell, I suppose.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I'm a huge "Frasier" fan, and have every intention of buying the entire series on DVD. However, I have no intention of purchasing the seasons out of order.

So hopefully they are not using this as any kind of sales barometer WRT how the rest of the series might sell since I won't be purchasing S11 until after I have S4-S10 in my collection.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
So you enjoy the agony? :)

I am thrilled with the "Dick Van Dyke Show" release pattern: 5 seasons in like 9 or 10 months.

I'd be happiest if they just released entire series' worth of season sets on the same day. (Note: I'm not saying they should do this, just that I personally would like it.) Of course I can imagine the reaction a lot of people would have: "How dare the studio release 8 years worth of 'Seinfeld' at once? How can I afford that?!!" Answer: just buy them at whatever interval you like, and you can start with your favorite season--even if it's not season #1.

Complaining about the impending release of a title you want to own seems beyond crazy to me. I think this obsessive collector mentality may be unhealthy. (This coming from an obsessive collector.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks