Frasier Final Season not in widescreen?!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by James.G, Nov 9, 2004.

1. James.G

James.G Extra

Despite announcements by DVDFile and others sources, including a discussion in another HTF thread (can't link to it-forum rules), Frasier's final season set is not in widescreen! Even though the last two seasons were filmed in HD, why did Paramount in its infinite wisdom choose to not release this in anamorphic widescreen like every other HD show on DVD. I'm sorely disappointed. Not only that, but the neat retrospective that aired before the last episode is not here either.

Is there something we can do to urge Paramount to release this in widescreen? While my boycott of this set is likely not to amount ot anything perhaps we can let them know how uncool this is.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I don't know where DVDFile and the others got information that this would be widescreen. I haven't seen anything from Paramount that indicated this.

Just because it aired in widescreen doesn't mean that's how the producers wanted it. We've already seen shows such as Everwood and The OC released in full frame because that's how the producers wanted it released. Paramount could have screw up the aspect ratio, or they could have been following the wishes of the people behind the show.

Gord

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Quite right. Most shows in the past few years, although being shot for widescreen, are also being shot for 4:3, so most shows have two aspect ratios. It's up to the producers to decide which one is the official (correct) ratio and which one is the "safe" (4:3 safe, 16:9 safe) one.

I would presume since Frasier was shot 4:3 all those years, they just simply shot again with a 4:3 ratio, but made sure the picture was also widescreen-safe. They probably (rightly) concluded changing aspect ratios for one season only was ridiculous.

Remember the outrage over an "Angel" (or was it "Buffy") set being released full frame rather than widescreen, and Joss Wheedon came out and told everybody that the official ratio was indeed 4:3.

4. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad bit disappointed. It would've been cool to see "Frasier" in widescreen for the first time. But hey, we can't win them all. I'll just be glad to own it..........not to mention seasons 4, 5, 6 & 7 in 2005. Can't wait!

5. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

I don't know that it bothers me. I was flipping past Two and a Half Men in HD last night and I noticed all the actors were clumped up in the middle of the frame. Obviously they were making the frame 3:4 safe. Total waste of the ratio.

Single camera shows fare much better in widescreen. I don't know how I watched X Files in 3:4 for the last few seasons. Widescreen was how it was meant to be.

6. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I think that for a show like Frasier, where many, many previous seasons were 4:3 only, the 4:3 version is the optimal version -- they clearly framed for that ratio and just made the widescreen version as a courtesy to the new HD format... much like some movies will be filmed in such a way as to be showable in 4:3, but the director is clearly framing for the wide screen. The wide ratio isn't always the optimal ratio, and that's certainly true in a case like this.

Even with newer shows, I think the widescreen formatting often hurts more than it helps -- like in a gag from the pilot of Arrested Development where you can see Buster in the corner of the screen in the widescreen version, which hurts the joke (which is that Buster is drumming off-camera until the camera pans over to reveal him).

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I agree with those that say this is likely to maintain continuity with previous and future releases, and that it really doesn't bother me.

If this were a film, it would be a different story, or if all of the prior and future seasons had been 16:9 then it would be a different matter as well, but not this time.

8. James.G

James.G Extra

The problem was it looked really good in widescreen, especially the last season. Watching it on my widescreen set, it will always feel that I'm missing out on something with those big empty spaces on the sides, especially since widescreen was how I first experienced it. A fullscreen/widescreen comparison would be interesting, if nothing else, to see how they matted the picture. I'm not a big stickler on continuity, so continuity be damned, bring on the widescreen! [​IMG]