"Frank's Place" on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John Burton, Oct 4, 2005.

1. John Burton

John Burton Stunt Coordinator

John
    Any word on "Frank's Place" coming out on DVD? A co-worker and myself were talking about TV shows on DVD, and "Frank's Place" came up. He asked me if I knew anything about it, but I was at a loss. I imagine that Hugh Wilson was a producer on that show, and like "WKRP" it may have music issues.

Thanks,

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I heard a rumor a year back that it might be in the pipeline, but nothing since then. The show did use a lot of music, so that definitely might be a problem.

Wilson was the creator of the show, yes; one of the great "Brilliant but Cancelled" shows and a worthy successor to WKRP. It's a shame that none of his shows are available on DVD.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I'd get right in line to buy Frank's Place. There are a few treasured episodes on S-VHS in my collection.
    Found this sad item in the latimes.com:
    Austin Leslie, the New Orleans chef whose Chez Helene restaurant inspired the television show "Frank's Place" in the 1980s, died in Atlanta, where he went after being rescued from the flooding spawned by Hurricane Katrina. His age was not immediately available, and a cause of death had not been determined.

In recent years, Leslie had worked at Pampy's Creole Kitchen, which was shut down in Katrina's aftermath. Owner Stan "Pampy" Barre said Leslie died Thursday morning.

Leslie, with his trademark white ship captain's hat, was already well known in New Orleans when producer Hugh Wilson and actor Tim Reid developed "Frank's Place." It was loosely based on Chez Helene, a hideaway that drew people from around the city for Leslie's fried chicken, stuffed peppers, gumbo and various seafood dishes

4. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    Funny, I was just going to post something about this show and you beat me to it.

It's one of the few must-have's left on my list:

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
    When that's where you left your heart?
    And there's something more ... I miss the one I care for
    More than I miss New Orleans.

5. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    I found out about Frank's Place when reading the guide to Simon & Simon in an A-Z of Network and Cable US TV shows book. Tim Reid left the show and went on to star in Frank's Place. The only things I've see Tim Reid in (apart from seeing him in Simon & Simon when testing out my copies of the Region 1 third and fourth season DVD sets) are the early 90's mini-series Stephen King's IT and the 90's US comedy series Sister Sister.

Was Frank's Place shot completely on a studio set or was some of the series shot on location?

6. siblis

siblis Auditioning

Frank's Place
    I Have all 22 half-hour episodes of this 1987 Tim Reid situation comedy, some with original commercials, on 5 DVDs in order with menus and chapters.

e-MAIL ME IF INTERESTED AT [email protected]