Frankie Say....This SACD Rocks!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RicP, Jan 23, 2002.

1. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Rage Hard, The Sonic Collection
    Just got this SACD direct from London and it is awesome! I have been a FGTH fan for many years and have been through 3 CD's and countless 7" and 12" mixes of their greatest tracks, so this SACD was an absolute must buy for me.
    The track run down is a veritable greatest hits collection including such greats as:
    Relax
    Two Tribes
    The World is My Oyster
    Welcome To The Pleasuredome
    Maximum Joy
    Rage Hard
    War
    Born to Run
    and more...
    It goes without saying -- but I'll say it anyway -- that the sound quality is stunning and the best that I've ever heard these songs in on any format. Some of the tracks are a little low in volume, but they all exhibit a drastic improvement in clarity and dynamic range over any other CD version of these songs. The bass is pounding and really drives these tunes right through the speakers.
    It's a hybrid SACD and contains the album in CD quality on the hybrid layer. I checked the sound quality on the CD layer and it was better than the "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" CD that I have, but not as good as the SACD.
    I've saved the best part for last...This SACD is Multichannel. [​IMG]
    Now I'm not a big multichannel fan as everyone here most likely knows, but if there were ever a band that screamed out for multi-channel that's not named "Pink Floyd", then it has to be Frankie Goes To Hollywood.
    "Relax" and "Two Tribes" in Multi-channel are just fantastic and the MC mix adds an entirely different dimension to these songs. I found myself sitting there with a huge grin on my face just listening to this disc and having a great time.
    Back when I first got an SACD player in Oct 2000, "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" was one of my "Pie in the sky" discs; meaning that I wondered how fantastic it would sound if it ever got mastered to DSD and an SACD released. I quickly dismissed that notion and figured that it would be a long time if ever that I'd get to hear that.
    Well in Jan 2002 I have the very next best thing...the killer tracks from that album on an SACD and spinning in my Sony XA777ES! BooYaa Grandma....BooYaa!
    Today I am an even happier SACD owner and this disc is really a must buy for any fan of the music of this awesome 80's band.
    Frankie Say.... BUY THIS SACD!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, out of curiosity, which web site did you order the disc from and how much did it cost? I am planning on getting Human League DARE! from www.superaudio-cd.com .

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I just ordered this earlier today direct from http://www.ztt.com.
    It was 19 pounds shipped, which is about 26 dollars. Not bad for an import SACD, I guess. Looking forward to it.
    By the way, ztt.com is the worst website I've seen in quite a while. Huge, painfully slow Flash files instead of actual content. Yuck.
    Be sure to let us know how the Human League disc is. The one I'm really waiting for from Virgin is the best of Roxy Music. (Avalon in SACD... drool...)
    Ryan

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, thanks for the info. $26 USD is a bit high for an SACD, but it is an import. Www.superaudio-cd.com sells the Human League SACD for $22.57 USD.

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Ryan,
    That's where I got mine from as well. I agree on the poor web site...ugh.
    Total shipping time was about 9 days...not bad across the pond. [​IMG]
    I have the Human League disc...it's not bad. Not the best I've heard but it's not bad at all.
    Check out Starlite Diner by Sarah while you're at superaudio-cd.com It's really a great pop album -- she does a killer cover of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are made for Walking". [​IMG]

6. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

I just received this disc yesterday as well. I agree with Ric. This disc is just amazing. I am dieing for my mulitchannel player to arrive. I also picked up the Wham SACD and that is very impressive as well.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, I have the WHAM! SACD from Japan too. It is excellent. It thoroughly beats the CD. I have European and Japanese import CDs of Make it Big, and they don't come close to the SACD. I still remember the day the SACD came in the mail. My girlfriend was over, and I immediately cued up "Careless Whisper". Prior to getting the SACD, she and I thought the CD sounded great in my SCD-777ES. When I played the SACD, we were awestruck. The clarity of George Michael's vocals on "Careless Whisper" is permanently engrained.

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I guess I am in the minority here, but I purchased this SACD from ZTT when it first came out, based on stellar reviews it was getting on AudioAsylum. I was not as impressed as many of you are.
    Granted, I am not a big FGTH fan - but I listened to "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" more than I would have liked to, having worked in a record store when that album was first released.
    I feel the sound quality on this SACD is good, but not great. It is a fun disc to listen to in surround as it does have some nice effects pushed to the rear channels.
    Keith,
    I ordered "Dare" from www.superaudio-cd.com awhile ago - got my shipping notice on 1/7/02 - but the disc has yet to show up. I am getting a bit impatient. When I receive the disc I am sure to post my little review either here or on AudioAsylum.

9. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wow! this is exciting! i'm a total fgth fan...and yes...i even had the t-shirt! [​IMG]
    i can't tell you how many times i've listened to welcome to the pleasuredome. there is a DID thread going on right now and i'm still trying to compile my list, but i guarantee everyone my paycheck that that album will be on the very short-list!
    what's one of my all-time fave tunes you ask? maximum joy!!!

11. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

12. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, glad to hear your Human League SACD arrived (finally). I look forward to your review.

14. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

15. Ryan Spaight

Yeah, I signed up over at Steve's forum yesterday. So I guess I'm one of the 5. [​IMG]
    Ryan

16. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

I just had to add something to this topic. Today, I finally got an XA777es multi-channel player (Yeah!). This disc really opens up very nicely in multi-channel. As a matter of fact, I think this has jumped to the top of my list of favorite multichannel SACD's. It is very good in stereo but multichannel allows it to shine.

Here's hoping that ztt releases some more SACD's.

17. Ryan Spaight

Just received this today, and I'm a bit puzzled.
    The stereo SACD sounds *great.*
    The multichannel, however, is a mess on my system. The levels are low, and there is very little bass.
    I haven't run into this with any other multichannel titles (the two Billy Joel discs and Kind of Blue). My setup is as follows:
    Front: LARGE
    Center: SMALL
    Rear: SMALL
    Sub: NO (sub connected speaker-level with the fronts)
    Did the dump all the bass in the .1 channel or the center? Even so, the player's (NS500V) bass management should reroute it to the fronts accordingly.
    To those who have this, where does the bass appear to live in multi?
    ------------------
    UPDATE: I tried hooking up the sub line-level, and the results were even worse. In that setup, stereo lost bass, too, since apparently bass redirection doesn't work quite right for stereo, either.
    The bass management is doing *something*, since there is output from the sub -- it's just so low that I have crank it *way* up to get meaningful bass, then all other sources end up sounding like a tricked-out Civic.
    Plus, it turns out Kind of Blue suffers in multi, too, it's just not as obvious. The stereo definitely has more bass in the original setup above.
    The Billy Joel discs, though, sound worlds better in multi than stereo, with nice, full bass.
    To sum up:
    Stereo, no bass management with Miles and Frankie: [​IMG]
    Stereo w/ bass management with Miles and Frankie: [​IMG]
    Multi w/ bass management with Miles and Frankie: [​IMG]
    Multi w/ bass management with Billy: [​IMG]
    It seems to me that the bass management on the 500, at least for some SACDs, is doing something strange and not quite right. (It works great for DD and DTS through the 5.1 analog outs, though I normally use the receiver for that.)
    Weird.
    --------------------------
    SECOND UPDATE:
    I think I figured it out:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...ki.localdomain
    Looks like I've got the same goofed-up bass management as this European model. This disc must send a lot of bass to the center and rear channels, and the anemic -14dB reroute is killing it. That's why there's *some* bass getting through, just not nearly enough.
    Nearly all the bass in Kind Of Blue is sent to the center, where the bassist is, so that tracks.
    I guess the Joel discs keep the bass in fronts, where it comes through fine on my setup.
    I guess an Outlaw ICBM would make all this work properly, but I only spent $300 on the player so another $250 to make the bass work seems a bit much.
    Do the ES models have these same limitations?
    Ryan