Frankie (2019)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Frankie

Genre: Drama

Director: Ira Sachs

Cast: Isabelle Huppert, Brendan Gleeson, Greg Kinnear, Marisa Tomei, Jérémie Renier, Pascal Greggory, Ariyon Bakare, Vinette Robinson, Carloto Cotta

Release: 2019-09-25

Plot: About three generations of a family grappling with a life-changing experience during one day of a vacation in the historic town of Sintra, Portugal.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I enjoyed this slice-of-life drama among three generations of family vacationing in Portugal. The scenery is wonderful and so is the cast - Isabelle Hupper and Marisa Tomei look smashing, and Brendan Gleeson and Greg Kinnear hold up their ends.

B+

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My arthouse does a free screening every month for members who donate to them throughout the year. Frankie is this month's freebie screening on Friday, so I'll be seeing it then. Good to hear you liked it.

Ira Sachs previously directed Love Is Strange with Alfred Molina and John Lithgow from 2014 which I loved.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Frankie was nominated for the Palme d'Or at Cannes. I really liked it. The final shot's composition tells you everything you need to know about the present and future dynamics of the family and its outliers. Huppert is her usual magnificent self, but every member of the cast is given the opportunity to shine, down to the incidental characters.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I liked it a lot, but I don't think many people in my screening did. It was sold out because it was the monthly free screening for members, but I highly doubt it would have been otherwise. I appreciated how quiet the movie was, and that it was just about spending a day with these characters and getting to know them slowly over the course of their experiences. But overall I suspect others were wanting more of an eventful plot, for lack of a better term. I heard a lot of griping while I was watching the credits and other people were walking out about how slow and boring it was. I didn't find it that way at all.

And oh my gosh, the Portugal scenery was gorgeous. It was certainly one of the nicest films to look at that I've seen in a while.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I liked it a lot, but I don't think many people in my screening did. It was sold out because it was the monthly free screening for members, but I highly doubt it would have been otherwise. I appreciated how quiet the movie was, and that it was just about spending a day with these characters and getting to know them slowly over the course of their experiences. But overall I suspect others were wanting more of an eventful plot, for lack of a better term. I heard a lot of griping while I was watching the credits and other people were walking out about how slow and boring it was. I didn't find it that way at all.

And oh my gosh, the Portugal scenery was gorgeous. It was certainly one of the nicest films to look at that I've seen in a while.
Subtlety is often like a pearl cast before swine in the case of many audience members. BTW, my daughter visited Sintra and told me that it was like a fairy-tale city.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks