1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frankie (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    [​IMG]
    Title: Frankie

Genre: Drama

Director: Ira Sachs

Cast: Isabelle Huppert, Brendan Gleeson, Greg Kinnear, Marisa Tomei, Jérémie Renier, Pascal Greggory, Ariyon Bakare, Vinette Robinson, Carloto Cotta

Release Date:

Runtime: 0

Plot: About three generations of a family grappling with a life-changing experience during one day of a vacation in the historic town of Sintra, Portugal.

2. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    I enjoyed this slice-of-life drama among three generations of family vacationing in Portugal. The scenery is wonderful and so is the cast - Isabelle Hupper and Marisa Tomei look smashing, and Brendan Gleeson and Greg Kinnear hold up their ends.

B+

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Message #3 of 6 Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    My arthouse does a free screening every month for members who donate to them throughout the year. Frankie is this month's freebie screening on Friday, so I'll be seeing it then. Good to hear you liked it.

Ira Sachs previously directed Love Is Strange with Alfred Molina and John Lithgow from 2014 which I loved.

4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Frankie was nominated for the Palme d'Or at Cannes. I really liked it. The final shot's composition tells you everything you need to know about the present and future dynamics of the family and its outliers. Huppert is her usual magnificent self, but every member of the cast is given the opportunity to shine, down to the incidental characters.

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I liked it a lot, but I don't think many people in my screening did. It was sold out because it was the monthly free screening for members, but I highly doubt it would have been otherwise. I appreciated how quiet the movie was, and that it was just about spending a day with these characters and getting to know them slowly over the course of their experiences. But overall I suspect others were wanting more of an eventful plot, for lack of a better term. I heard a lot of griping while I was watching the credits and other people were walking out about how slow and boring it was. I didn't find it that way at all.

And oh my gosh, the Portugal scenery was gorgeous. It was certainly one of the nicest films to look at that I've seen in a while.

bujaki likes this.
  6. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Subtlety is often like a pearl cast before swine in the case of many audience members. BTW, my daughter visited Sintra and told me that it was like a fairy-tale city.