What's new

Frankenstein (1931) observation (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
While watching James Whale's Frankenstein (the one with Boris Karloff as "The Monster") I thought it was odd when during the wedding celebration and everybody is dancing and drinking (or is that drinking and dancing?), the next moment (after the father is shown carrying the drowned Maria) you see everybody with torches and sticks parading to Baron Frankenstein's residence demanding justice!
It just seemed odd like did the wedding invitation read like this:
"Please come to the wedding of Henry Frankenstein and Elizabeth"
"P.S. Please bring a torch/stick/pitchfork just in case we have to go lynch some monster"
One scene they are dancing, the next scene, they're all carrying torches!
Jay
Next up: The Pit and the Pendulum with Vincent Price...

Mitty

Supporting Actor
That's true. If you watch the DVD, the making of featurette (~45m long), one of the historians also questions how the townspeople know that the monster was the culprit. If you see a drowned little girl, do you automatically assume a monster drowned her? Couldn't she have just fallen into the pond and drowned? It takes a bit of a leap of logic. It's a leap I'm willing to take though.
I've been watching a lot of the Frankenstein films lately, thanks to those new double feature discs. It seems the townspeople in the various villages in those movies exist for the sole purpose of forming lynch mobs. It's pretty funny if you watch a bunch of the movies in short order.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...9, 8 7 to go!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I was kind of actually wondering whether they were trying to lynch Henry Frankenstein or "The Monster" too. After all, I guess that the Dr. Waldman, Victor, or Baron Frankenstein might have spilled the beans as to what Henry Frankenstein was doing up in the windmill. Cause how on earth did the townsfolk actually know that the Monster actually existed, since I presume he was never let to wander before and nobody's been to the Windmill. And they presumable knew that Henry was a bit wacko at the time too. But yeah, it is kind of strange that they immediately assumed it was the Monster. Maybe it was James Whale's purpose, to show how absurd it is to lay blame without reason, on our poor Monster.
....And yes I did pause my recording once Boris was alive and kicking so I could run around the house screaming "It's Alive!!!..It's Alive!!!" I think my neighbors called the cops, either that or gathered all their torches and gathered outside my door to lynch me...
crazy.gif

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks