What's new

Frankenheimer's THE TRAIN - DVD question (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Don't know why I never picked this up but its one of my favorite WWII films.

Does anyone own this disc?
How is the presentation, image quality, etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've got the disc. I'm no expert, but I'd say the transfer is pretty good. Definitely worth a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I recall correctly, this dvd is non-anamorphic at 1.66:1 ratio, however, the transfer was damn good. The best part of the dvd for me was an excellent audio commentary by John Frankenheimer, who provides some of the best dvd commentaries on many of his films released on dvd. Also, I believe it's pretty cheap to buy for only $12.00 or so.

Crawdaddy

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
an excellent audio commentary by John Frankenheimer, who provides some of the best dvd commentaries on many of his films released on dvd
Absolutely! I think John Frankenheimer's commentaries are great. The Train also has Maurice Jarre's isolated score which makes it an even more worthwhile purchase.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I would think the cover shown on play.com's site is the one used, thunderdvd.com another canadian etailer also had that cover.

I don't know what you mean by original exactly, if you are asking is it the artwork from the theatrical posters, then I'd be pretty certain it is not... MGM tend to use photos instead.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Bjorn
Thanks for the reply, and yes I wondered if this was the original theatrical release.
I'll pick it up anyway
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent DVD and like others said, great info from Frankenheimer. He makes some good points why he shot flat instead of scope. I think this is one of his very best films and the B&W image is as good as I remember in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks