What's new

Frank Zappa - QuAUDIOPHILIAc - Anyone else having problems with this disc? (1 Viewer)

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hello again all,

I've been curious about Frank Zappa's work for quite some time, due mostly in part to his visionary approach and dedication to surround sound music as far back as the early seventies. Qaudraphonic vinyl releases of the seventies have interested me for quite some time (since about six years ago, when, at the tender age of sixteen I went on my very first vinyl binge and happened to see a copy of Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard in one of my local record stores), so the prospect of hearing some of the very first rock music recorded specifically to be heard with a multi channel set up remixed into modern 5.1 on DVD-A was too much to pass up. Also, reading Marco Passarelli's glowing review of the DVD-A collection of quadraphonic odds and ends cleverly titled QuAUDIOPHILIAc on Musictap.net (a site we all frequent, I'm sure) sealed the deal, so I went about the process of finding a copy for myself so I could give it a spin.

I went to Fry's, procured the only copy in the store, and raced home to hear this musical oddity. I unwrapped it in anticipation, opened the case, and placed the disc gently on the tray of my trusty Pioneer DV563A. I navigated through the menus, selected the advanced resolution surround track and was elated to hear...

NOTHING? &*#$@%$#*%%$#!

So I tried the MLP stereo track. Same result. Weird. So I tried the 96/24 DTS surround track. It works. Okay, so maybe it's a defective disc. It happens, right? So I return it to Fry's, and run to my nearest Tower Records (the new Seattle flagship store, if you live in the area, CHECK IT OUT!) and bought a copy. Same thing...

So, the question is: has anyone else had this problem? I mean, the DTS track sounds great and all, but this isn't what I payed for. What a colossal disappointment! I've never had a problem with a DVD-A or SACD discs being incompatible with my player before, why should it happen to two copies now? Does anyone else happen to have this disc and this player?

-Justin

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Justin, you may wish to do a search, especially of the audio/video source area. With DVD-As, I believe that the 563 units manuf. before around Feb. of 2004 had firmware issues and in one of the threads was Pioneer contact info to get the problem corrected. I don't have the unit and have not followed all the discs that had issues.

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Phil,

That possibility that it could be a hardware issue didn't even cross my mind. I'll make sure to do some research on that. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Justin

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Justin, besides here, there are lots of posts at audioasylum.com under the 'Digital - DVD-A' area. Just do a search of "563" or "Pioneer" or "Pioneer 563" and I'm sure you'll find them. Many people reported problems with discs.

gregD

Second Unit
Here's an extensive thread on the 563a issue, with plenty of names and numbers to contact for the easy firmware repair:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=3020

By now, all local Pio repair centers should have the firmware disc in hand... you might be able to simply walk it in and wait for the upgrade to install... it's that easy.

QuAUDIOPHILIAc was the disc that finally drove me to get my 563a fixed... and it's worked like a charm since.

And QuAUDIOPHILIAc is stunning!

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought this disc and have the same exact problem as Justin_P. My 563 is over a year old, so I guess I'm SOL in terms of any warranty.

I knew going into this I was buying a budget player, but this is still disappointing...

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Same here Robert. :)

Cheated on by a machine!

Finding out about this issue and the agony some have gone through to have it repaired has made me decide to stick with the tasty DTS mix on this disc for the time being. I bought this player with the tag in my head "well, I'll buy the cheap 563a now and see if I really get into DVD-A and SACD [80 discs later, I think you could say I have], and maybe by the time it starts giving me guff there will be a better player at similar price point."

So, here I am. I'll probably look at new players after Christmas...

I guess the multi-channel cheater will find a new home in one of my friend's home theaters.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Pioneer reps may not charge much at if anything to upgrade the firmware. I would call first, it may be pretty easy.

gregD

Second Unit
Your local repair shop is ripping you off good... call 'em on it!

Call Pioneer customer support USA: 1-800-421-1404

Report your problem, get a case number, and have them arrange for your local guy to install the firmware upgrade for FREE... when I made the call to Pioneer, they were well-informed and helpful with this specific issue.

Just have your sales receipt handy.

You should be able walk it in the shop, wait 5 minutes, and walk it right out.... no charge!

The firmware fix corrects a design flaw, which is covered beyond the normal warranty.

And the 563a is worth upgrading... its successor (578a) is a lesser machine (no direct DSD)... my 563a has worked flawlessly with all kinds of discs since the upgrade.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks! Worked like a charm...Pioneer will send me some paperwork to get the firmware upgrade at no cost - except for my time.

If they could just do a little makeover and magically turn this into a 5-disc changer I'd be all set. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks