Frank Herbert's Dune... what's the scoop?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tolsky, Sep 2, 2001.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Can someone fill me in on this? Don't recall ever seeing it on tv or theatrically. Is it animation? How does it compare to the fairly bad film with Kyle What's-His-Name? How is the quality of the dvd sound and picture wise?

2. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

This was the live action mini-series shown on the Sci-Fi channel.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It is non-anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Surround (should have been anamorphic/5.1 but there was some infighting)
    The first part is a total trainwreck of blasphemy. The second part's not much better. The third part is virtually spot-on with the book. Overall, the Smithee cut of the Lynch version is still the closest to the book
    Jeff Kleist

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

5. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Jeff what did they change from the beginning?? I thought it was all pretty spot on this time (haven't seen it, but I've read the book).
    Shame! I thought this was the penultimate version!! [​IMG]
    Dang!
    ~ John
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

6. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I thought this was an all-around superb rendition of the Dune story. Yes, things were cut and things were changed, but FAR less than Lynch's version, and it seems to me that the cuts were for the purpose of taking out book-material that wouldn't have worked on the screen. The acting is understated and superb, as are the effects. But the whole set is worth buying just for the costumes.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

John, the only thing I can recall off hand is the addition of Irulan to the banquet there. And I agree, I find this to be a more more acurate (and enjoyable) adaptation of the book.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

8. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

9. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Content-wise, it's very subjective. I prefer this version, others hate it. Disc-wise, I think everyone can agree it's a let down. As Jeff noted, infighting between companies resulted in a sub-standard release: non-anamorphic & no Dolby 5.1. The consumer got screwed on this one. [​IMG]
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    first off, i will admit that i only watched the first 2 parts, as i could not justify the waste of time of the 3rd part. anyway, all of the scenes that took place out in the desert had the production values of a bad high school play. this, combined with the needless and muddled story modifications and generally poor acting (Baron Harkonnen aside), made the miniseries verge on the unwatchable.
    DJ

12. Jeff Kleist

I am an actor, and the acting was POOR. Too many people trying to hide their accents. Also, when the BACKDROP(that's right, too cheap for bluescreen) is waving during battle scenes, that should be a warning light to you. The Baron was good, but the rest, bleh.
    The Lynch cast was superb, and the Lynch version captures the spirit and characters of the book. Outside of the sound guns, the Lynch keeps the story intact, and doesn't add, only subtracts.
    As for the costumes, again the Lynch version was better, This one has the Reverend MOTH-er and her cowgirl entorage, as well as the Pastry-chef Saudaukar(OK, it was betterthan the trashbags from the Lynch movie) "Do not threaten me, or I will bake you into a fine crust!"
    Jeff Kleist

13. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

I'm shure it's just a LOCAL OPINION - but around here , this series
    has been renamed Frank Herburts DUD . ................. Thump .........
    Some Of Us Even Own Guilty Pleasure Movies
    Just Our Opinion - We could be wrong .......
    e

14. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Actually, as I read about the production, the backdrops were a bit more expensive than their bluescreen counterparts, and they were not chosen for cost purposes but for design reasons.
    To each his own, I guess. It's a little brash, IMHO, for an artist to refer to another artist's work as "poor."
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

15. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Jeff: Lynch changed a LOT of things from the book! And certainly added things too! Still, overall the tone does manage to keep with the book, although it never quite reaches the level it should have.
    I'm intreged by this new version though: The most watched TV on the sci-fi channel ever, but with bad acting and awful back drops..... eek! That would REALLY grate!
    I wish they'd show it over there (the UK) so I could make up my mind without having to import the German Anamorphic 5.1 version!
    ~ John
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

16. Jeff Kleist

Seriously, I found the backdrops to be incredibly distracting. They should NOT be allowed to wave! I've taken to calling this the "stage version" of Dune.
    Mind you, I love dry, series European style things. But the guy playing Paul was just BAD. William Hurt just failed as Leto, and I never really bought Stilgar at all(fine actor, bad casting). Oh for a chance to transport the Lynch cast 20 years into the future and have them on this. Perhaps they could have saved it