What's new

International Frank Capra's Lost Horizon - Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I am thrilled to hear that the missing footage has been located and will be included in this release. I love the novel by James Hilton and Frank Capra's cinematic adaptation.

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't care if METROPOLIS is in the wrong aspect or has bars or whatnot. I just thankful to the higher powers that be that the missing footage was found at all! I don't care that it is in poor condition; I'm ecstatic that is is extant!

Same with LOST HORIZON. I can't wait to view it in its almost full glory!
Any extant footage beats having to use still photos in their place! :)

EDIT: This section of the METROPOLIS Wikipedia entry highlights the restoration efforts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film)#Restorations

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't care if METROPOLIS is in the wrong aspect or has bars or whatnot. I just thankful to the higher powers that be that the missing footage was found at all! I don't care that it is in poor condition; I'm ecstatic that is is extant!

Same with LOST HORIZON. I can't wait to view it in its almost full glory!
I am in total agreement on that and that is why I paid $28.00 for it (at Costco no less)

Lost Horizon was remade in 1973 ...
p1365_p_v8_aa.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070337/

I attempted to find the Johnny Carson spoof but was unsuccessful ... a running gag was a continuing repitition of "Hi Lama!" arguably one of the more liked things about the remake ..:(

Reactions: PMF

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Inspired by RAH's glowing review of the new restoration Blu-ray of Mr Deeds Goes to Town, the following is my take on the Sony restoration Blu ray of Lost Horizon:

• Region-free
  • Restored from 4K scans
  • Beautifully cleaned up - no specks or scratches to be seen
  • Frames from quality elements simply shine
  • Poorer elements that looked soupy on the DVD now look more than acceptable
  • Stability now rock solid
  • Excellent sound
  • The extras from the DVD ported over
  • Extras include the absorbing SD feature-length documentary, Frank Capra's American Dream
  • Unfortunately no subtitles in any language

The following notes appear at the start of the feature - an update of the notes that prefaced the prior DVD:

"When Frank Capra's LOST HORIZON was first shown in March, 1937 it had a running time of 132 minutes. Over the years nearly 25 minutes of the film were removed, and various shortened versions were reissued. By 1967 the original nitrate camera negative had deteriorated, and no copies of the film were known to survive.

The restoration of LOST HORIZON began in 1973 when the American Film Institute conducted an exhaustive survey of archives around the world to identify all surviving versions of the film. As a result of the AFI's efforts, a complete 132 minute soundtrack was located, and all but seven minutes of the picture. The technical quality of the newly found material ranged from excellent to poor.

For the current restoration, Sony Pictures Entertainment has completed an all digital restoration, starting from film elements restored in collaboration with UCLA Film and Television Archive in 1999, utilizing additional elements and incorporating one minute of newly located footage. Because the picture is still six minutes shorter than the soundtrack, the missing scenes have been filled in with freeze frame images from the film and with a selection of surviving still photographs."

—————————

For those who are happy to import rather than wait for a domestic US release, the following are valid options:

JB Hi-Fi:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/drama/lost-horizon/973247/

Deep Discount:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/lost-horizon/9337369009650

Madman Entertainment:
https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/37344/lost-horizon-bluray

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just ordered this on ebay, £15.89 delivered seems okay to me. I dimly remember first seeing this on the telly around the late fifties, one of those magical films like, Things To Come, The Devil & Daniel Webster & The Sea Hawk, films that cement a real love of movies.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I just ordered this on ebay, £15.89 delivered seems okay to me. I dimly remember first seeing this on the telly around the late fifties, one of those magical films like, Things To Come, The Devil & Daniel Webster & The Sea Hawk, films that cement a real love of movies.

If you felt the way about it you would love the book then...

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Sony just announced that "Lost Horizon" will be available in the USA on October 3! Sorry if this should be posted elsewhere, but I don't see a separate U.S. thread, and thought others would like to know.

As thread host, I'm delighted you shared this welcome news here. After all, the movie's the thing. I see another thread is now devoted to the new release, so this thread will bow out.

Very timely too, as the stocks for the Aussie release are coming to an end. Last week, JB Hi-Fi cancelled an order for a Lost Horizon Blu-ray that I had placed for a friend, citing end of stock at the supplier.

I'll be in line to buy this new edition in the Capra Collection, even if the transfer is likely to be identical to last year's Oz release. I love the showmanship (packaging, documentation and overall presentation) of this Sony series ...and one clear advantage this will have over the Oz release is English language subtitles.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Greetings to RMajidi,

I just learned of the exciting news concerning "Lost Horizon" and Columbia's latest edition to their Capra series.
It was inevitable that it would be this year of 2017; especially since "It's a Wonderful Life" is seemingly not within their possession.
I just discovered your thread, here, on "Lost Horizon". Read every entry. So, if you must insist on bowing out as Host; then could you add in the link to the other thread? Can't wait for this 4K.
BTW, three Cheers to Mr. Grover Crisp for keeping the Capra series strong and consistent.:cheers:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I found this to be a very satisfactory transfer to Blu ray, and the restoration of long-lost sequences is very welcome. You can spot where the restorers have had to resort briefly to 16mm elements, but this is only a minor blip. Some restored sequences are good to see .. but there is an over-long sequence, with Edward Everett Horton palling up to some young children, which need not have been replaced (in this case, with still photographs). You'll see what I mean --- too cutesy and cloying for words.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks