Frances SE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Peterson, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

This title slipped under my radar and I'm thinking of picking it up. Does anybody else have this? Is the documentary very good? I just finished reading Frances Farmer's biography and would like to see how the documentary compares.

I've seen the movie and really liked it. How's the picture?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

If you mean how accurate is the 1982 film Frances, the answer is not very. It is based on a late-Seventies book by William Arnold called Shadowland, which is packed with inaccuracies and speculation.
    RD

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Robert,

I read "Will There Really be a Morning?" in which Frances was actually involved. I haven't read "Shadowland", but I've heard that it is very speculative (i.e. The Lobotomy). I haven't seen the movie for several years and don't remember how it compared to the book that I read, but I do remember liking it.

I'd really like to know more about the quality of the documentary & commentary track.

4. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

"Will There Really be a Morning" is her autobiography (with some help from her companion, who finished it after her death in 1970). I have both that book and the Arnold one, both acquired via eBay.

I didn't know there was an SE of the film available; the version I saw was the old Artisan one.

RD