François Truffaut's Day For Night (on VHS)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carrol M, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Carrol M

Carrol M Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if there was ever a release of Truffaut's Day For Night was ever released on VHS in the U.S. or Canada with the original French soundtrack in tact w/English subtitles?
    The only version I've found is dubbed in English, and, who wants that?
    Carrol

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have searched high and low for this, but as far as I can gather, only the dubbed version has been released. Why this movie hasn't been given its just release to DVD (let alone VHS) with original French dialog is beyond me. There may be a rights issue, but now that MGM is releasing Truffaut DVDs and Criterion is eventually to reissue some of Truffaut's earlier films, I would think that NOW would be a great time to bring out this much-neglected classic in OAR with subtitles.

3. Carrol M

I agree Dick, I have only seen the film once, I believe on PBS nearly 10 years ago and guess what, it was dubbed in English.

Either Criterion handling it, along with the other Truffaut their going back and tackling or just a nice edition (bare bones even) from MGM would be great. They've done some wonderful things too, and they SEEM to be slowly but surely releasing a ton of catalog titles, so I hope you're right.

I always thought Warner owned it, but that may have changed hands now, probably?

Carrol

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

So far as I know Warner (or some other major studio that is not MGM) still owns it. It was released 3-4? years ago with new prints (and certainly the original French soundtrack) in first run theaters here in New York. I guess the run never made it to the provinces.
    The point is though, the restauration work was already done, all they have to do is give it a nice anamorphic transfers and release it on DVD. But I guess the studios are too busy re-releasing unmitigated crap (yes, I did see it) like The Replacement Killers SE to be bothered with Day for Night...
    Ted

5. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I've seen Day For Night both dubbed and subtitled on VHS. I have no info on who the distributor is or where it could be available because the copies I viewed were just that: Copies [​IMG]
    They were both NTSC and I just figured they were American.

6. Carrol M

Hmm, I'm going to have to try and find the subtitled version then. Wonder where I should look...