What's new

Frampton on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
From the forum rules:

1. We encourage lively debate. You are free to disagree as long as it is polite and constructive.

I interjected with my opinion, I beleive I am allowed to do that.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The discussion was of a specific release. Criticizing the presentation, mastering, or format of the release is certainly constructive to that discussion.

Trashing the career/technique/style of the artist is thread crapping.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The "lively debate" line from the posting guidelines does not include thread-crashing. If you have further questions, take them up with me privately, not here in the public forum. Last word.

Everybody else, please resume your discussion. Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
No, they are not in contact with each other. There is a small space between them but doing it this way does make it much more difficult to remove/insert one disc without disturbing the other. I have a hard enough time removing a single disc dvd. Having two so close together taxes what little patience I have to the max! i'm going to put both discs into seperate cases so I don't damage them. Gene

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I listened to a little more last night and I'm really pleased with the mix. The crowd noise really gives you a feeling like you're right there. Not that I want to be distracted while I'm listening to the music, but there's a person who whistles out of the left surround that had my head spinning. I thought it was my wife trying to get my attention over the loud music!

I also thought the Talk Box guitar on Do You Feel was done really well. Not too overstated in the center channel and it blended in really well with the mains.

I saw nothing in my packaging to keep these from touching. I'm just putting them label to label.

I made a comment above on the LZ How the West Was Won packaging. I forgot to mention that you can't even press the center post to release each disc. There is absolutely no give to the post. You have to put a finger under the disc and bend it until it pops up. It's worse than Warner's DVD cases.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
When I said "a small space" I meant a really small one!:) When I first opened mine, the top disc would spin without touching the bottom one. But as I said, I'm not going to use the original case at all. Gene

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Growing up, I've followed Framptons career, starting with "As Safe As Yesterday Is" by Humble Pie. His more melodic voice and guitar style when mixed with the late Steve Marriott really added to the music of those earlier recordings. To say he was a one hit wonder is misleading........He was and is a legend among musicians.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Me too. I was listening to "I Don't Need no Doctor" and "30 Days in the Hole" before I knew who Frampton was. Humble Pie has two releases on DVD-A. Anyone have those?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Way back from the dead.

Saw him on Soundstage last week and wanted to pick up the DVD-A but now can't find it.

Is there a big difference in the DVD-A and SACD?

I can get the SACD but if the DVD-A is a better piece then I'll search around for it.

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They both have 4 additional cuts from the same concert series and the songs are in a different order than on the cd, which I didn't like. I think they both share the same surround mix but I'm not positive. The DVD-A does have 3 live videos from 1976 and an audio interview. Otherwise, it's a matter if you prefer one over the other. I have the DVD-A because I didn't have a hi-res player (used the DD layer) when it came out. I also feel that DVD-A sounds a bit warmer on my slightly brite system than SACD. Frampton's Live In Detroit concert dvd is also quite good.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Thanks.

Another local BB apparently has a copy of the DVD-A that we'll pick up tomorrow.

Live in Detroit...that always kills me. Pine Knob is a good 20 miles north of Detroit, which is where the concert was done.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

This disc was mastered in PCM, so I would assume the DVD-A would have a slight sonic edge over the SA-CD due to one less digital conversion. That being said, I won the SA-CD, and am generally happy with the disc's quality for a live recording. My biggest issue is that it is a single layer SA-CD only disc, so portability and using the music on my iPod easily kind of goes out the window.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks