What's new

Frampton on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Anyone checked-out the Frampton Comes Alive DVD-A released this week (I think)? Looking for some impressions. On the edge of buying it myself ...

N

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Yeah, thanks James. Next time I need an informative response like that I'll look you up.

N

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I just picked it up today. Why? Because it's the best live album ever. Period. I'll give a review soon but "awesome", "incredible", "unreal!" etc. will probably be in there somewhere. Gene

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gene. I'll look out for your comments. I only have the one-disc CD and the mastering is crap.

I saw Frampton here in Dallas last October. I had 3rd row seats. He was so great with the crowd. You felt like you was in in his rehearsal studio with him talking and cutting-up inbetween songs.

A young guy called Joe Bonamassa was the support that night. Oh my god. He was incredible. This guy is a guitar genius and his voice ain't that bad either. Look out for him.

N

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was at Winterland in S.F. where much of the original album was recorded ("Hello San Francisco!"). At the time, I had no idea what I was going to be a part of! As a matter of fact, I didn't really know much about Frampton either. I got free tickets from a friend to "some sorta rock concert" as he put it. What a show!. I didn't know any of the songs, but loved them all. And yes, he's a class act. Too bad that Sargent Pepper's disaster messed him up. Should have stayed away from that one! Gene

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I just caught his episode on VH1's Inside the Music (or something) - do they release this on a DVD or something the Frampton episode was a keeper.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I saw the DVD-Audio disc at Best Buy last night for $23.99. Has anyone compared it to the SACD? I bought the SACD a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. Even if the DVD-Audio disc is the same or worse, I will probably get it for the DVD-Video portion. Still, has anyone compared the two hi-rez releases?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
O.K. Neil here is my quick(?) review of the DVD-A. First off, I have an H/K DVD 5 which isn't DVD-A capable so this is from the DD layer. Sound wise, the bass seems deeper and tighter than the cd and over all a little clearer. The highs are also up the ladder as well. The cymbals from the drummer seem more pronounced. There is a noticable improvement in sound quality IMO. I used "Lines On My Face" as the comparison track. The four new songs are a nice addition and were enjoyable. The tracks are in a different order than on the cd and that bothered me a bit but I'll get over it. As for the three video's, Baby I Love Your Way, Do You Feel.., and Show Me The Way, the video quality is terrible and the audio even worse! I think it's even in mono. They were fun to watch, the first time, but I don't think I'll spend much time on them now. The interviews were kind of cool but audio only, no video like my Alice Cooper DVD-A. As for the surround mix, once again, I'm disappointed. I like a more aggressive mix and this has the backs used mostly for the crowd noise. It sounded more like DDPLII to me than true Dolby Digital. As a reference, the Live In Detroit DVD has a better mix to me. I had to crank up the volume on the backs and sit in the middle of the room to achieve the best sound. This album also needs to be played loud! to sound it's best. If your a big fan of this, or it has special meaning (as it does for me) then it's worth the $22 I paid for it. I would love to hear the SACD version to see if the mix is more to my taste. Gotta get one of them there universal type players! Over-all, some what disappointed, but my expectations were way high. And yes James, there were no "unreals" or "awesomes" in here but what the h*ll, it's still the best live album ever. Period. Gene

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Thanks for taking the time to post Gene. Sounds disappointing and strange considering Frampton is so into this surround thing. I wonder if the MLP layer is any better ... hmmm.

Regards, Neil

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Frampton lives 10 minutes from me, maybe I should have dropped off some good Scheiner-mixed surround discs for him to check out.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I just picked this up yesterday. I only listened to a few tunes before my daughter started howling for her Fantasia fix! The funny thing about this albumn is that the night it was recorded whas Frampton's first night as a headliner. Not a bad start.

I listened to "All I Want to Be" which is my favorite song on this album and the mix is just enveloping with crowd noise just encircling you. "Do You Feel" is better than ever and I expect the rest of the album to be the same. Can't wait to get an empty house so I can blast this entire DVD-A.

JamesCB: please google the exact phrase "the world's best selling live album" then go back and kindly delete your post.

Ralph

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Great, so it sounds like the DVD-A mix is pretty good. Think I'll have to go grab this one.

Thanks for everyone's input.

N

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
The one thing about this DVD-A I am not pleased with is the packaging. It's an ordinary, plastic, SINGLE disc DVD-A package but the discs are stacked on top of each other on the same center post.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor

The YesSpeak DVD documentary also came with both discs on a single post. I hope we don't have a trend here.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

No kidding! I just picked up the DVD-A of Led Zeppelin How the West Was Won and I'm no too fond of this packaging either. It's got a cardboard outer shell that's going to get beat to hell. Then again, it's probably too much to ask for one standard for DVD-A packaging, when plain old DVDs are still packaged in umpteen different ways.

JamesCB

Second Unit
I tried the search that Ralph Summa suggested and got a whopping 12 results from that statement. Must be true then.
Frampton is mediocre at best. Maybe classified as a "one hit wonder".

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
This thread is for people discussing the "Frampton Comes Alive" DVD-A. Those who don't wish to provide constructive information can just move on. No need to threadfart. You dropped flame bait, I grabbed on to it, it's my bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks