Framing out a RPTV screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrellC, Feb 7, 2003.

1. DarrellC

DarrellC Stunt Coordinator

I am an intermediate woodworker and just completed the two bookcases that will flank my new PRO 530HD. I now want to build a carcass that will cover the TV and only reveal the screen. I can make a face frame to do this, but how do I get the tv in? Do I just build a front shell that slides in around the tv?

I have seen in done but do not know how to proceed. Please help!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Someone here posted one that had a panel of false cabinet fronts across the bottom below the screen. This panel was removable allowing you to remove the TV.

The false doors' inside panels were made of speaker grille cloth to allow sound out from the RPTV's on-board speakers.

I wish I could find the link. It was quite handsome.

3. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

Ventilation!!!

Make sure that you have plenty of air flow around your RPTV.

(Oops, should have finished reading Dave's post before bringing up the grill cloth idea -- deleted)

4. DarrellC

My current plans will have the tv inside a carcass that does not have a back. I will put the tv in place and then slide the shell around the tv between the two bookcases. The shell will have a framed out area around the tv and some doors at the bottom to access the bottom of the tv. The doors will stay closed.

Any other or better ideas?

5. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on the look you are going for.

You could build a simple 1x4 frame for mounting your front facia panels on and then for your facia panels use even lighter 1x2 frames with grill fabric stretched across them. The facia panels could mount to your support frame using speaker grill gromets. This would provide a "mask" for your RPTV's screen. You could even add facia across the top and bottom to match your bookshelves.

Something like this...

http://www.toddshore.com/_images/linked/rptvfacia.jpg

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

We use Keku fasteners for removeable panels on entertainment centers. It helps if you use a 3/4" platform base to position the bookshelves precisely. If the center section around the RPTV has to project out further than the shelf units, we add 3/4" panels to the sides of the units and use the Keku fasteners to attach just the face frame.

Pete

7. DarrellC

I understand. Would the shell idea I have also work? No back, just 3/4" sides, top, and face frame with faux raised panel doors on the bottom?

Thanks for the input!

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

It will, I think, but it'll be a bit cumbersome to pull off and put back on. And if you want to put any weight on that top shelf, it'll have to be fairly beefy.

The knock down hardware is really easy tho.

Pete