What's new

Framing errors (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
What framing errors would "Alien 3" have? Since it was filmed anamorphically it would seem very unlikely that the transfer would have any errors. Unless it is the bio readouts at the beginning that appear cut off on most displays, but that is just common television overscan.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Chasing Amy has a documented framing error, never corrected (although not a huge deal, one scene, obviously a mistake in prints as well, so the DVD is as it was in theaters- whether ugly or not).

Clerks I had not heard of previously- although given it was shot 4:3 and cropped like 2 years later for theatrical distribution (blown up from 16mm)- there could be a fair amount of debate as to proper framing (adding to which, Kevin has a bit of a "who gives a shit" attitude toward such things). Clerks will be reissued this year sometime- so maybe a new transfer will cure whatever people think is wrong.

Reservoir dogs has so many problems, it's better just to think of it as "unreleased"-- the current SE has incorrect color, horribly blown out image, misframings, missing dialog and sound, and the extras are so cheesy it's cringeworthy!

All of these have been discussed at length here- and a search would find the previous discussions.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Unless everything I have seen is wrong, it is anamorphic. I heard that certain pick-up shots may have been done in Super 35 but principal photogragraphy I believe is anamorphic.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Steve:

You're wrong re: ALIEN 3, it was indeed shot in anamorphic Panavision. It's the only time Fincher has shot anamorphic, all his later films were Super-35.

As for CLERKS, while it was shot in "full-frame" 16mm, the framing was composed during shooting for eventual blow-up to 1.85:1 35mm (incidentally, it was blown up to 35mm less than 6 months after it's first festival screening, not 2 years later). I know for a fact that the upcoming "10th Anniversary" DVD will be anamorphic widescreen from a new High-Definition transfer taken from the 16mm interpositive (the old transfer was taken from a 35mm blow-up source), and was approved by both DP David Klien and Kevin Smith. They were given the choice of releasing a full-frame version and flatly refused. The full-frame version has lots of headroom and neither Kevin nor Dave wants it to be released that way on DVD or in any future HD format.

Vincent

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Hi, this is my first post here.

Which Bond films on the latest DVDs have framing errors? Were replacements offered by MGM? I replaced my VHS box sets recently with the three DVD sets but I haven't had a chance to view them all.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Not that I'm aware of. Octopussy and The Living Daylights had some missing subtitles originally, but this was corrected. I'm sure that's what the list was referring to.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Romeo and Juliet (1968) is not framed correctly....just look at the end titles. I think it should be 1.66:1.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The SE of Sleuth is 1.85:1. It should be 1.66. I did an A-B comparision to the old DVD and it is cropped top and bottom.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Horror of Dracula is cropped at the top, chopping off the top of Dracula's head & others in many shots.:eek: It's really annoying.

Stu King

Auditioning

What are the framing errors in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? I have checked all over and can't find any information concerning any errors.

-Stu

Stu King

Auditioning

What are the framing errors in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? I have checked all over and can't find any information concerning any errors.

-Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davido626
Recent bookmarks