Frame Rates for 4K TV

old mole

Agent
Real Name
George
I have recently purchased a new 4K TV & Blu-ray player. The Auto Motion Setting when ON creates a picture that is beautifully life-like but looks more like live TV than a normal movie. It's almost like being on the set with the actors. When in the OFF setting, the picture is not as clean but more like a film. I understand that the 2 settings have different frame rates. Which do most owners of UHD TV's prefer?

old mole

Agent
Real Name
George
Thanks, for your replies, guys. What about TV shows and sporting events; do you turn off for everything?

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I can't speak for 4k TVs, but for normal HDTVs, the general consensus is to put the TV into GAME mode. This turns off ALL of the artificial processing software that the manufacturers have added.

My opinion is that if it was made on film, it should look like film, but also, if it was made on videotape ("live") it should look like tape. So I don't think everything should look one way or the other...it should look true to the medium on which it was created.

old mole

Agent
Real Name
George
I can't speak for 4k TVs, but for normal HDTVs, the general consensus is to put the TV into GAME mode. This turns off ALL of the artificial processing software that the manufacturers have added.

My opinion is that if it was made on film, it should look like film, but also, if it was made on videotape ("live") it should look like tape. So I don't think everything should look one way or the other...it should look true to the medium on which it was created.

old mole

Agent
Real Name
George
That makes sense, Andy. It just means turning the Auto setting On and Off for different shows/events, which can be a pain.

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
That makes sense, Andy. It just means turning the Auto setting On and Off for different shows/events, which can be a pain.
If you leave the Auto settings Off, 24 fps should look like film and videotape ("live") should look like 60 fps, which would not have anything converted. Correct?

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Leaving it "off" seems the way to go. One way you can test to see if tape still looks like tape with the setting switched to "off": watch your local evening news (or one of the network soap operas) and see if the show looks the way it's supposed to.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
July