FR-drivers, part 2: Bass Box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rory Buszka, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

For the bass box for my fullrange-driver project, I am interested in using 4 of the Madisound Sledgehammer 5.25" woofers per side. These woofers offer a fairly low Fs and deep frequency response, down to 49 Hz. These will be in a simple ported box, and be run passive. Some time in the distant future, I might add a music-type 12" subwoofer to reach really low. This will not be a HT system, but it will be a music system.

Bose (eww) makes a bass module (model MB4) for their MA12 modular line array. It also uses 4 5.25" woofers (which is dumb for PA) and loads of EQ.

I just want to know if I'm out of my mind for using these 4 5.25" woofers. This is just for the sake of maintaining a thin profile, but without using side-firing woofers. 5.25" woofers allow me to keep the width of the baffle to 7".

P.S.: I'm not going to step out of line by calling these "subwoofers".

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I know that you are going to be using these in a college dorm room, so I know space is tight for you. It is not a bad idea for your situation. I would go for it and see what it sounds like. What will you power them with?

What did you decide to do about the Tangband fullranges? Are you gonna go with the 3" or 4". If you go with the 4"s are you gonna ad a tweeter? Just curious becasue I am gonna make my parents some spekaers useing 4 of the 3" per speaker.

Later

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

These madisound drivers are high-quality poly-cone with butyl surrounds, and I will use a lowpass and highpass filter. I'm using the 4 5.25's to get bass that starts and stops when it is supposed to. One thing I noticed about the Bose Acoustimass box that they package with the Lifestyle 28's and 35's is that it has better immediacy and punch than the soggy-pancake 8th-order boxes. My current sub sounds like a soggy-pancake (good for HT explosions), but not as severely as Bose, but I'm looking for something that can deliver more quickly and precicely. Also, there's something about 4 drivers moving simultaneously that's irresistably cool-looking.

I don't plan to ask these things to go any lower than the 49Hz Fs, but with the Bose Acoustimass 3's that my friend's dad has, something still seems to be missing. So to add that missing piece, I plan to take a big Pioneer 15" woofer and build a music-oriented (tight&fast, like my bass boxes) sub. The pioneer 15" is good because it doesn't have very high excursion (which I believe leads to poor transients), but it has the diameter, so displacement is okay. The driver I plan on using responds down to 20 Hz, so it is suitable for my purposes. I'm basically looking for something that will give me the bass without the drawbacks of small subwoofers (boomy, ill-defined, sloppy/flabby, etc.). In every way, this will be a conventional subwoofer. It doesn't have to even shake the window.

And I plan to add in a TB dome tweeter. I worked it out and the sensitivities of the 4 drivers wired in series-parallel (for 8R impedance) and the tweeter are quite close. (93dB 1w/1m) This way I won't have a load of midrange without any sort of bass or highs.

Thanks a bunch for all your input. I'm determined to do this right.