Fptv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny C, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

Hello everyone !

I hope to be able to persuade my wife to get a Front Projection TV. Currently I have a 61" Non HDTV. I am tossed between a RPTV or a FPTV. The location where my TV does allow light in, but I really want a Front Projector.

Can anyone recommend a good one ? Or should I stick with a RPTV Widescreen HDTV. I just really want something larger than a 61" and not spend way too much money.

Also, Do i need a special Screen to veiw a Projector ?

Thanks again

Kenny

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kenny:

First, give us an idea about your budget. Because front projectors come in many flavors and many price points--but almost always starting at the $6,000 range for LCD-based units.

Second, how much light gets into your viewing room? If there's no way to block out ambient lighting effectively during the daytime, you're not going to be pleased with the dim images produced by a front projector--except at night.

Finally, you can simply project an image onto a white-painted wall--but that's no good. The specialized screens manufactured for home theaters also come in a variety of flavors--some enhance the contrast to an astonishing degree. There are different types of screens, in short.

Bear in mind that living with a projector is an active experience. Being the amazingly sophisticated devices they are means they require routine maintenance.

Now would be a good time for projector owners to jump in. ...

3. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

Jack
    Thanks for the reply back. My budget is what my wife lets me to spend. I was hoping to get something close to 5K. I have seen on the boards here that some people have bought the NEC for about $2500. (Not sure what model that is) I have seen some on web sites that go for 5K+. I have a slider on one side of my wall which will let in some light. and I have an opening to my Living room on the other side.
    I guess, the ideal way is to have an Enclosed area. I have my Stereo person coming over next week to tell me if I can get a FPTV. If not I will probably get a new HD RPTV. The only problem with that is I have 61" now and I was hoping to go to a 100" screen. The best HDTV out there only go up to about 65". Is it really worth it to go 4" more and with High Def ? I know the HDTV are Widescreen but I always wanted a FPTV [​IMG]
    Kenny

4. Jack Briggs

Since that's what you've always wanted, I just bet that one day you'll own a nice FPTV!

This may be a bit beyond your budget but the new Sharp 9000 single-chip DPL projector is winning major kudos in the home-theater press. You might want to see what kinds of prices you can find.

If I were in the market now, the Sharp would be my first consideration.

The very best projectors are still CRT-based. But here you're talking about a major financial commitment--though Theater Automation Wow (TAW) is making some news with its less-than-stratospherically priced CRT projectors.

Your ultimate goal? Some would point you in the direction of the Vidikron Vision One-X. But you'll need to fork over a cool $75K.

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

It's a pity you don't have full light control ... CRT's are the BEST in terms of image quality and black levels.
    Are you sure you can't get some blinds or something to hang over the windows? Is the room also a living room?
    $ 5 000 will get you an amazing PJ, no matter LCD or CRT. Just be sure to set aside some money for screen and (maybe) ISF calibration.
    Also, if you're not good with home DIY, you'd want to get it professionally mounted.
    Try www.avsforum.com for a community of FPTV lovers.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Light control is essential for a good picture with an FPTV setup (I blacked out my windows with aluminum foil--VERY cheap and makes the room BLACK). Otherwise, you simply won't have a good picture--it will be very washed out.
    I think setup difficulties are probably exaggerated. Allot one day's time for convergence (in the case of CRT) and setting color temp, black levels and so forth, and you're done. Subsequent maintenance is pretty simple, even with CRT (a half hour or so every few months to do a convergence touchup and you're done).
    Once you've seen a well-setup picture at 100 or more inches, you will NOT want to go back. [​IMG]
    BTW, the Vidikron Vision One is a great projector, but many people (including myself) will argue that the Sony G90 is the King of video projectors (check out the annual Faroudja demo at CES, which uses the G90), and they can be had for as little as $15k. Other excellent CRT models can be had for as little as $3k.

7. Jack Briggs

Robert: New Sony 90s can be had for that little? Amazing! I mean, one could very well be in my future. Cool. JB

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wow, I didn't know the new Sony G90's went for under about $40k or so. I'm behind the times.
    The new HP XB31 may be a good one to keep your eye on for the

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't want to be misleading on the G90 price. I did not mean to imply that you can get brand new A stock G90s for $15k. I was referring to some of the deals that people such as Curt Palme over at AVScience have on B stock G90s. Sometimes, though, the deal is just so good that it might as well be new. For example, if a projector was used once at CEDIA, and has a full factory warranty, it's damn hard to pass up.

10. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

Thanks everyone for the Excellent feedback. I have some kind of shading in my family room. I do have blinds but i know for a fact that during the day, there is definitely light in the room. My family room opens up into my kitchen so light is coming from everywhere. I have my local stereo dealer coming over next weekend to see if it is possible to get a FPTV. If not, I guess i might either keep my Sony 61" and have Gregg do my calibration or opt for a new HDTV.

I will keep everyone posted. I hope i get the OK.

Thanks again

Kenny

11. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I'll chime in and say that I love my FPTV! I have a Panasonic 711XU (LCD) and got it for around $3000. The 75U is very similar and goes for even less. For what I spent, I could have gotten a mid-level pioneer or toshiba that took up half my floor space and was 1/4 the screen size. And I certainly couldn't unplug it and take it outside for a 20 foot wide picture for a neighborhood 'drive-in'. Out of the box it has a great picture. And I can watch a movie on low power bulb mode with the lights dimmed enough that my wife can read...

Blakout fabric is cheap and easily sewn onto your curtains, or you could even hang up a blanket for daytime viewing if you have a lot of ambient light coming in. I'd definatley recommend going to whatever lengths necessary to block the loght and get an FPTV of your choosing after doing a lot of research (the avsforum linked above is a great resource, even if it seems overwhelming at first)...

12. Jack Briggs

David, interesting post. Can you provide an opinion as to how good the image you're enjoying compares with, say, a top-rated RPTV? Do you find that your projector's virtues outweigh any possible flaws (for example, its ability to hold black)? Thanks.

13. David Broome

Well, I can't give a completely accurate comparison, since I have never had an RPTV of any quality in the same room as the FPTV.

I did, however, have an older Toshiba 32'' direct view in the room before I put the PJ up. To my eyes, the detail in dark scenes is BETTER than what I saw on the direct view. I believe that this has something to do with the fact that the screen is SO much bigger and of a higher resolution (the tv wasn't progressive-compatible).

I watched a few minutes of U-571 last night (the scene where their sub gets blown up and they have to climb into the German boat, and also the dpth charge scene, I was testing out some new Bass Shakers). It was a night scene on the ocean in a rainstorm, and I was so captivated by the depth and beauty of the picture I can only say that the blacks are great.

I'm not prepared to say that if you have an ISF calibrated Pioneer Elite and go to an LCD PJ (or see them side by side) that you won't see blacks being not as black on the PJ as they are on the RPTV. All I can say is that a shade or two off on black is a very small price to pay for the difference in watching a movie on a big tv set and watching one on a big SCREEN as it was shot to be seen. It just feels better. Everytime I watch a movie I feel like I have gone out to the theater. The pros far outweight the cons for the PJ, IMHO, especially the particular issue of black levels (which is hard for me to even notice).

My opinion being stated, I DO know that if black levels are a problem for you personally, there are MANY things you can do to squeeze more out of the black levels on PJ's. Such as using a good Stewart Grayhawk (or Firehawk) screen. I have read many posts by people who say their black levels increased dramatically with that type of screen (I'm sure their pocektbooks decreased dramatically as well :).

Another (and much cheaper) way is to create masks for your picture. I can personnaly attest to the amazing difference masks make on perceived black levels. My wife (who is NOT into home theater and likes her 27'' tv in the bedroom just fine) AND my Mom were both greatly impressed with the difference in the picture with the masks on as opposed to them being off (or raised and lowered in my case).

If you can find a place where you can view them both in the same room, that would be great. If not, try to find a place where you can at least see them in close proximity. If any of you are in the Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin area (I'm just north of Spring Hill) TN area, you're welcome to come take a look...

14. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

I'm in the same situation as Kenny C. How does a projector compare to RPTV as far as a HDTV source? Namely DVD .

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It varies quite a bit. From what I've personally seen (I have a Proxima DP8000 projector, but I've seen quite a few others), a good mid/low end projector with a reasonably good screen (I'm on a Stewart Grayhawk, but firehawk is good too, as well as many less expensive things) is almost as nice as a $10k DLP based RPTV. Also, you can get 2x the picture size for a much more immersive experience. I recently watched Gladiator at 300" diagonal (25 feet) with my projector and it's pretty amazing, especially when considering that at 13.2lbs you can take it practically anywhere.

If possible, take the time to look at a correctly set up FP setup along with some high end RPTV sets before making a decision.

16. David Broome

I can't speak for HDTV on this projector (that is my next upgrade), but DVD's are incredible. The only HDTV I have seen on a projector was a high end Marantz at the local AV shop. They were showing the Rose Parade loop and it was like nothing I'd ever seen. Just as crisp and clean as the Pioneers in the other room, but big enough to make you feel like you were really there.

17. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I'll chime in and say my Electrohome M8000 will BLOW away a HD RPTV. You can find deals everywhere! Mine was a local deal I picked up the M8000 for $4K CDN which is about $2500 USD. THe tubes are in near mint shape, except the red has a bit of burn in, but you would be hard pressed to see it, without a pure white pattern. Blacks are incredible. The image is 3D like.

Now as far as light control, if it's a cloudy day I can watch my projector no problem, in my living room with a huge bay window. I have dark curtains which don't stop the light but filter it. Yes the picture is washed out a bit and when it gets darker it's better, but I don't do critical movie watching during the day!

For regular tv watching I don't like to use it, currently I have no choice as I have no room for a TV but when I move it will be in it's own room. I will be using a direct TV for regular TV watching and only use the FP for DVD movies.

100" screen is hard to get away from, certainly draws you in!

18. Jack Briggs

David, James: Thanks for the insightful, thorough posts. You guys left nothing to my imagination; I could visualize what you're enjoying in your homes so vividly. You both would make good equipment reviewers! JB

19. David Broome

Unfortunately I haven't. The 75U wasn't out when I got mine (or at least I found no posts anywhere about it and nothing on the Panasonic site).

Could just be a case of the extra $$$ inspiring more committment :)

To be honest, there would have to be a pretty big difference in my book to warrant $600 difference, and there may be one, I just can't comment on what it is. I do know that I have not heard one disappointed owner of a 711XU, and to be fair, I haven't heard all that many disappointed people with 75U's either. I don't feel bad having spent what I spent for the projector I got, even if there is one that is cheaper now.

I remember reading a comparison of the two over on avsforum, so you may want to look there with the search tool to get someone's opinion who has seen them both...

20. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

My installer is thinking that maybe I just install the a screen in front of my Sony 61" RPTV. The problem with that is I did want to sell my 61" TV. My installer is coming Saturday, so I will see what will happen.

Thanks again everyone