FPTV sharpness compared to RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Wilcox, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Joshua Wilcox

Joshua Wilcox Auditioning

I know these questions may seem a little basic, but I'm the newest of newbies right now. My friend and I were in Walmart staring at a HDTV and marveling at how sharp the picture was. We got into a little disagreement about FPTV and RPTV. I was wondering whether or not you can gain the same (or better) sharpness and crispness of high definition programming and movies on a FPTV as you would on a RPTV. Assume that both setups are using the same equipment and are set to be the same screensize (say, both are 65"). Also, would using a good condition, freshly painted wall of a bedroom be a good enough "screen" to view movies and TV on? Thanks so much, guys... you always amaze me with your expertise!

Josh

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Joshua,
    That's really an open-ended question, but I'll try to tackle it for you. A properly set-up front-projection system can kick the crap out of any RPTV, but be prepared to spend big bucks (easily $8000-$10,000, or more) to get one. On the other hand, a great-looking 65" RPTV can be had for less than $3000.

As a general rule, a RPTV will look better in most situations and for most people for one simple reason: a FPTV needs to be in a theater-dark room to realize proper contrast and brightness... most people don't have the proper room to put a FPTV in to make it look its best. A RPTV, although it does also benefit from a darker room, can be used in a brighter "everyday" room much more easily, and with a much more acceptable picture.

At a 65" size, with both TVs in that super-dark room, you'd probably see a bit better image on a FPTV. Colors would be a bit more accurate, and detail a bit better, particularly if you're looking at a DLP projector or, even better, an $30,000 CRT projector. But unless you want to go 100" or more I think the better bet is a RPTV, unless you have money just falling out of your wallet.

Finally, plenty of people use their wall as a surface to project their TV on, but a screen will be a big help in improving contrast and brightness levels, which again is an inherent problem to front projectors. The difference between a wall and a screen is huge... I'd consider using the wall as only a temporary measure as you save up to purchase a screen. Hope this helps!

3. Joshua Wilcox

Joshua Wilcox Auditioning

Thank you so much! I guess we both "won" our little argument! [​IMG]