FPTV set up (screen included) for Under $1K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Is it possible?
    I'm thinking about putting it in my family room (finished basement). Good news: no windows to deal with.
    I realize that image quality would be low. I'm more interested in size. I'd prefer to stay away from a CRT model, I don't want to deal with convergence. It would also be ideal, if the projector was portable, so that I could put it away when not in use.
    HD is not an issue.
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

2. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Check out this Used Projector List .
    You can make an excellent DIY screen for well under $100.
    Good Luck
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

3. Richard Burzynski

John:
    Thanks for the info!
    Regarding your link to the used list, if someone asks me about speakers, amps, prepros, receivers, RPTV's, etc, I can rattle of Makes, Models, strengths and weaknesses.
    But when it comes to FPTV's, all I can gather from that used list is that some cost more/less than others. Can you give me some guidance such as this brand is better than that brand. This replacement bulb costs a lot more than that projector's bulb. This unit's picture is more pleasing than that one's.
    As for the DIY screen project, that sounds way cool. Any info or links?
    Thanks again.
    Rich B.

4. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Richard,
    Projector Central is one site with some useful information. Other sites just close their eyes to the problems with digital front projection. Reviews are sometimes useful on this site.
    Their database of projectors will come in handy during your search. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with current and out of production models, their specs and major manufacturers in the game. Together with the Search function at AVS Forums (which judging from the same post over there I'm sure you're already exploring), this will get you up and running in the land of FP in no time at all.
    The Screens forum on AVS Forums has tons of info on DIY screens.
    Good Luck
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us
    [Edited last by John-D on September 04, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

5. Richard Burzynski

Thanks again John.