FPTV screen width calc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cook, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Bill Cook

Bill Cook Auditioning

ok I've got a basic question I have not been able to discover thru reading.
    when a FPTV (considering installing a Sony 1272Q) the install manuals all deal with screen width for a 4:3 screen. Is the screen width for a 16:9 the same (just not as high) or does the hieght stay the same and the screen will be wider..
    Thanks,
    Bill Cook

2. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    You can use both options of a fixed-height or a fixed-width screen. The point to note is that the projection distance remains the same for a fixed width screen, but changes for a fixed height one. For instance if you start with a 4:3 Screen of 80x60 and calculate the projection distance, your projection distance will not change for a 16:9 screen of 80x45.
    The install manual is a little complicated to use for setup. Why don't you try using PJCalc. It's a small software utility provided by SONY to setup their Front Projectors. You'd need PJCalc 1.8 which has info on the particular projector you are trying to install.
    Good Luck
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

3. Bill Cook

Bill Cook Auditioning

hehe..
    Ok so it is like I thought. It depends. (Love that answer)
    I have not bought the projector yet. Just figuring out the best spot to place it and how big of screen I will get.
    is there a "better" way of seting it up.
    Will one method give me (overall) more resolution. Otherwise It would seem best to set up for a fixed height as I'm probally more height restricted than width (most likely wall I would use has about 7 feet of usable screen height, but 12 feet of width.
    Thanks again.
    Bill Cook

4. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

I beg to differ with John-D, slightly. The width of your screen will determine the throw distance, almost period. I say almost because with a 16:9 screen, you can mount the projector slightly closer than you could with a 4:3 one. No matter which setup you choose (constant height or constant width), the widest aspect ratio will determine the throw distance. You can almost ignore the height of the screen in the calculation, in fact the throw distance for an 80" wide screen is 109" whether the screen is 4:3 or 16:9 according to pjcalc. But, as I said, you can cheat a little bit, not much though, and creep a little closer with a 16:9 screen, thus using a little more phosphor on the tubes, thus getting a slightly brighter picture.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

5. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Sean is correct. Only the width of the screen to be used is used to calculate the throw distance. BTW, if you are thinking of using an entire 12' X 7' wall with a CRT projector then you are asking too much of the projector. With a Sony 127X projector I would not recommend a screen width of over 80-90" for a 16:9 screen. You'll have to drive the projector too hard to get an acceptable image.