What's new

FPTV & Light (1 Viewer)

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
In the location for our display device natural daylight is virtually impossible to eliminate because we use the great room, so no way to darken the environment.
Let me add that I suggested to my wife that we get room darkening shades/blinds or curtains but...........
FPTV is my first choice but with the fact that I don't have the ability (permission) to darken the room, will this make viewing this type unacceptable during the daytime?
Are there any FPTV's that would work or should I just stick with a new direct view?
Recommendations welcomed except for the ones eliminating the WIFE ;)
Harley

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Generally, you want a dark room for FPTV. But, I understand that DLP projectors are brighter than any others. Not sure if this is true of the low-end ($5000), but should be true of the $9000 Sharp. I would think that the choice of screen is important, too. Usually a screen with less reflectivity is recommended for DLP, but in your case maybe you don't want to do that. Maybe one screen for daytime and one for night?

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Ambient light, particularly natural light will wash out the contrast level of ANY projector, CRT, D-ILA, DLP, LCOS, or LCD. It doesn't matter. Light control is a must for a FPTV setup. If you don't mind the reduced performance and you buy a projector that is bright enough you may find the image acceptable for casual (and I do mean casual ;) ) viewing. Regards.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Actually, Marc, DLP tends to be, effectively, dimmer than other choices. To our eyes, a 1000 lumen LCOS/DILA projector will look about as bright as a 1200 lumen LCD and a 1400-1500 lumen DLP.

You may be able to get away with it if you have a screen like the Stewart Firehawk and a high lumen projector, but both Marc and Bill have the right idea, a dark room is ideal.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I know it is none of my business, but why does your wife not want darkening material for the windows? It can be sewn on the back of exisiting curtains and no one could tell it was there.

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I know it is none of my business, but why does your wife not want darkening material for the windows? It can be sewn on the back of exisiting curtains and no one could tell it was there.
My Wife is a practicing interior decorator and we live on a lake and she insists on all Windows that face the lake only have (I'm not sure what their called) see-through lace type of curtains that allows you to see through in the daytime and at night you can see the lights from boats etc..

As you can tell my Wife is the boss of the inside decorating, I get the outside (some bargain)it was an ordeal just to convince her that we needed eight speakers and a rack full of Home Theater equipment.

As far as a screen and projector this is not an option, we have extremely high vaulted ceilings and my wife was not hot on the idea of a screen covering a wall which she says would probably be down all the time (I said it only be when we watch something) she knows better............

It's beginning to look very obvious that my only choice will be direct view, I've been auditioning several sets, but the big screens sure look appealing and was hoping that there was one out there that compensated for light, at least I will have excellent surround sound, now if I could just find a display device to go with it.

Harley

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You can go with rear projection (must if you want more than 40 inches and not front projection). You could make some large cardboard flaps covered in black cloth that help shield the screen from room light, and which could be hidden behind the set (or folded down in front) when not in use.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it might be something like that. I can imagine a beautiful view of a lake would be a hard thing to give up :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Why not a compromise with something like the Hunter Douglas Duette blinds? These can even be integrated with a remote control system so that the blinds are only down when using the projector.

A higher gain screen will help somewhat with ambient light rejection, but in the end performance of any display will be compromised with ambient light -- more so FPTV than RPTV or Direct View CRT.

I agree that it sounds like a great view, but IMO, you can both compromise a little bit.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks