FP vs. Samsung DLP RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Torgny Nilsson, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I have essentially decided to get one of the new Samsung DLP sets, but I am hearing a lot about FPs being really good for HDTV. So can someone answer a couple of questions for me:

1. What is the cost of a good FP system that can rival the new RPTVs that go for about $3,000? I don't mean just the FP itself, but what else do you need to watch TV and DVD movies (in all their formats) on a FP? and

2. What brands of equipment would you recommend for a limit of $3,000 for everything (I already have all the sound equipment)?

Thanks for any information.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For $3K, you can get a front projection system that will out-do that rptv. There are various ways to do this from crt's to lcd and dlp, plus a diy screen if you wish to got hat route. I am assuming that you want to display Hdef on it within that budget as well?

3. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Yes, HDTV would be nice. Any specific recommendations? I think I would shy away from a CRT.

4. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

Some things to consider about front projection:

1) Inability to get a really good picture without having the room quite dark means daytime viewing is unrealistic.

2) Average bulb life usually less than 1500 hours. For most people's average TV viewing this equates to less than 18 months. Can you afford to replace a bulb every year to year and a half?

3) Most projectors have audible fans. Some of them are really loud.

4) Lack of a big boxy thing in the middle of your wall makes your speakers sound really good. (Hey, I'm not just a doomsayer).

For my money, unless space is a major consideration, I'd be buying a CRT RPTV over either a DLP or LCD RPTV every time. Good shadow detail and realistic black reproduction are the two most important things in reproducing a good television picture, as far as I'm concerned, and the LCD and DLP RPTVs can't do either.

5. Eric Ehedstr

Eric Ehedstr Auditioning

I'm confused here, or perhaps im just ignorant, but am I the only person who thinks the Samsung DLP TV is the clearest screen they have ever seen for the price? I didn't think you could get projectors for $3k that would have the picture quality of the RPTV DLPs...? I'm happy with my Samsung HLN507W but my room is a dedicated media room and is very dark, so a projection screen thats bigger than 50" sure would have been nice! [​IMG]

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I think that this sentence:

7. Chris Svensson

Chris Svensson Auditioning