What's new

FP vs RP (1 Viewer)

JackLonn

Agent
I currently own a Toshiba TP55D81 (about 6 yrs old now) and am seriously considering replacing it with a FP, but I have a couple of questions;

- My Toshiba has a great picture. I've never had it ISF calibrated but I do what I can monthly. ? How would the picture quality of a FP ($3,500 - $4,000 street price) compare to what I have now. I'm not talking about the viewing experience,yet,but actual picture quality. My HT room is 19'x17' and I can control the light.

- When I bought my RP Toshiba, all screen dimension reference the DIAGONAL dimension. Now I see reference to screen width. Is the nomenclature different for FP or are we still referring to the DIA? I have room for an 90" WIDE screen which equates to a 112" DIA 4:3. (I plan to go 4:3, even though I vastly prefer WS movies). When you folks are referring to a 100" wide screen, what is it, across, or diagonal?

Thanks, JackLonn

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
In that price range, with a 4:3 screen, the best choice is most likely the NEC HT1000. In a completely light controlled room, you should be impresse with the picture quality. It's a native 4:3 projector with an XGA chip, a sealed light path and some of the best black levels that you can find on a digital pj at any price.

PQ wise it will smoke a 6 year old RPTV in many respects. No convergence issues, better brightness uniformity, sharper, more accurate color out of the box, no reflections from the cabinet, the ability to display HD signals (even though at a lower res of 1024x576). The ANSI contrast (intra-scene) will also be much, much higher. The only problem you might run into is that your sources may not be up to the task of being displayed at that size. Lower res 4:3 sources will look terrible blown up to 112" if you plan to sit 1.5 - 2.0x screen width.

There are a lot of rave reviews at www.avsforum.com in the over 5k projector forum (list is $5495 even though it streets for a lot less).

In FP most people refer to screen widths if only one dimesion is given. Theaters ususally refer to screen width because they use constant height setups and vary the width according to the picture. It's a practice that has found it's way into HT FP circles as the associated viewing angles (calculated from the width measurement) are comparable.

JackLonn

Agent
Thanks for all your input. After reading ton of reviews, both owners and magazines, I went ahead and ordered the HT 1000 from Projector People today. Should be here in 6 or so days. Next step, select new speaker system and processor, 5803 or seperates. Hmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks