FP Screen In Front of RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Alan Pummill, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I am getting ready to remodel, and am looking for some good ideas. I plan on installing a FP with a screen that will come down in front of my Pioneer Elite PRO-630HD.

My HT Pics will show what I am starting with. Any help or advice will be well taken!! Thanks, gang!![​IMG]

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

If you are to have a screen that rolls down from the ceiling make sure that it is tab tensioned so that you do not get any "wrinkles" in the screen. The projector to get will depend on screen size. How big do you want to go with the screen and how far back do you plan to sit?

There are many factors that go into a good front projectrion home theater, but when they are nailed it is well worth it.

Regards,

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What kind of projector you get also has a bearing on screen. You may want to get a gray screen if you go the digital route, and a slightly higher gain white screen if you go CRT. CRT, imo, is the cheapest and best route, if you're up to the challenge.

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

David,

Yes, I have heard about the tab tension screens. That is what I will go with. Will be sitting about 9' back. I'm thinking an 80" wide screen. That would give me a 92" diaginal in 16:9 format.

Any particular screens or projectors come to mind??

5. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

At 9' back you will need some serious resolution on the screen at 80" wide. Meaning you will see the image structure if your not careful. I may even recommend going to a 6' wide screen (72") as this may be the safer bet and at 9' back should look really good.

As for projectors...as Chris mentioned CRT is still the best in terms of picture quality, but it takes a lot more to get there. After purchasing a projector you will need to get a video processor to scale up your non-HD sources. If possibly I would recommend to go with this combo on a 6 foot wide screen.

As for Digital projection...this will give you a lot less hassle in terms of up-keep. There are currently a good deal of great DLP projectors out ther such as the Sharp-10,000. Runco also makes a few good ones with excellent scalars. Samsung will be coming out with one shortly that was designed with consultation from Joe Kane that is suppose to be AMAZING!

If you go with a CRT projector use a 1.3 gain material. Depending on the digital projector that you go with you may or may not want to use an enhanced screen for blacks. Light output from the projector plays a major role in this decision.

Regards,