FP questions need guidance

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brad_c_g, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Brad_c_g

Brad_c_g Agent

I been looking at RPTV's for a while and I think I am now changing my mind and would rather have a FP being 70% movies 20% tv and 10% games (xbox, ps2, etc). I'd like to stay at $2,000 range.

The room it will be going in is 16.5'L X 11'W X 8'H. I would be viewing length wise.

My dvd player is a Toshiba 4980.

Questions:
    1. How do you determine what the size of the screen will be? is it based on distance? I'd like to get 100"+ screen will 16 feet be enough?

2. Is a screen required? If not, is there a special paint needed? I guess what would be the best and what would be budget DIY?

3. How important is the lumens?

4. Based on these questions and info can you point me in a direction I should be looking? I like both LCD and DLP so I don't really have a preference here. I know the infocus is recommened a lot here but will this meet my needs vs the AE900?

5. Is there a FAQ about projectors on here that I haven't found? sorry if my questions are the typical noob ones. [​IMG]

Thanks,

Brad

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

If you have good light control, lumens are not important. Contrast of the projector is much more important. If you do not have good light control, figure out how to get light control, or think seriously about not getting a projector. With poor lighting control, high lumens and an expensive screen can create a watchable picture, but will never create a good picture.

3. Brad_c_g

Brad_c_g Agent

Thanks for the reply Mark, I found projector central website that has a throw calculator and all kinds of answers to my questions here.