FP on the rise - Anyone else notice? Lots of Qs about projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaveGTP, Aug 6, 2004.

1. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I've been wanting to make this comment thread for a while. It seems like there has been a substantial rise in the # of threads about FP here @ HTF. Lots more projector questions. Is this my imagination? Is there a reason that FP is picking up steam?

Discuss! [​IMG]

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

They're getting better and cheaper, simple as that. I'm looking to get a IF 4805 in the coming weeks myself, simply because it comes in at a price that isn't a back-breaker and the performance is, buy all accounts, pretty damn good.

3. Bruce McDermott

Screen size and increasing quality for less. Those with room are going to jump all over that.

What's a Sony 70" XBR LCD go for these days? $5,500? For that money, you can increase the screen size by 30 inches and at least match the PQ with a new digital (or beat it with a used CRT FP [​IMG])

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yep. A few hundred bucks for one of the greatest projectors on earth. Can't beat that. Then again I'm one LUCKY bastard, so I'm spoiled. [​IMG]

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

[​IMG]

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Well, even the X1 has been @ $999 for quite a while, with the Sanyo Z1 at about the same price level. Just seems like an upsurge of interest. I remember reading the HTF Display forum and finding mainly posts about RPTVs and normal CRTs.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I had my eye on the X1 primarily because of all the attention it's been getting but the specs never really made me bite. I've been hanging back, lurking around this forum until I saw that the 4805 had DVI/4x color wheel/component 480i input/16:9 native DMD, and I finally upgraded from an NTSC set.

I think it would have to be because of better quality at lower prices coupled with all of the options out now.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Projectors are cheaper AND better than when I purchased my current model and the one before it.

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I think the value for your money is really increasing with the current crop of 1280 x 720 projectors. HTF is where I saw both Front Projectors advertised, each of which I went ahead and bought. When you go and see a front projector in action for the first time in someone's house and its set up really well, you can't help but be impressed. After looking at large screen TV's, I thought about front projection and decided to take someone's offer to go view one in action at their place. Once I did that, I was hooked. I can't get over how small and light-weight LCD front projectors are and yet my wall has a 92" diagonal image that makes me grin every time. I too have noticed the increase in front projector threads here. Then again, I spend lots of time here and on AVS, so its not surprising. Front projectors are the hidden secret of BIG SCREEN home theatres, when you think about the main stream. I think when the average person who has a 40 to 57" diagonal widescreen HDTV views a roughly 100" diagonal widescreen image, they can't help but take notice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming RPTV's, as they are useful for TV and rooms with ambient light, and they are very sharp and have great contrast, but the big screen effect of actually projecting a big picture really comes across well with the little PJ's.

10. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It still boggles my mind when I insert a DVD into my $125 Sony player, which feeds my $899 IF X1 projector, $200 DD 5.1 500 W Kenwood receiver, and $1200 dollars worth of speakers and 300 W sub. (My screen is a Goo-derived 92" DIY 16:9 painted area on a wall.)

That's a total expenditure of less than $3000.

And for that price I get to experience movies that I adore, in their original aspect ratio, that (mostly) look and sound better to me than they did in the movie theater.

What a rush!!!

Now ... What was that question again?

11. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

IF I HAD KNOWN ABOUT FP BEFORE I BOUGHT MY TOSHI 57" BIG SCREEN. I CAN TELL YOU THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE A BIG SCREEN. IT IS THE BEST THING I EVER BOUGHT. I HAVE AN X1 & I USE IT FOR EVERY SPORTING EVENT. WHAT A PICTURE. AND WHO CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COST. RIGHT NOW ME AND MY WAF ARE IN A POWER STRUGGLE OVER THE LIVING ROOM. OUR NEGOTIATIONS ARE BREAKING DOWN. I MIGHT HAVE TO DROP THE BOMB ON HER.AND TAKE OVER THE LAND. I SHALL WIN IT OVER FOR ALL WHO COULD NOT DO IT BEFORE ME.[​IMG] ON THE REAL SHE HATES THE SPEAKERS.
    SORRY ABOUT THE VENTING[​IMG]

12. Steve^S

Steve^S Stunt Coordinator

Newbie here and had to jump in since my son is looking at the possibility of f/p. Do any of you use yours for everyday viewing? Football, network programming, etc. What are the positives and negatives?
    Thanks
    Steve

13. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I don't actually have an fp (yet), but I thought I'd jump in on this one. The positives of fp's are pretty obvious, as for the negatives I can think of two big ones: sensitivity to ambient light, and cost of bulb replacement.
    If your son's viewing room is not light controlled I think it would be difficult to view material during the day. Bulbs run in the range of around $300, and are good for a few thousand hours, depending on model. If you amortize the cost over a number of movies, the numbers come out well enough. However, it seems like a waste for watching the evening news.
    This is not to say that you can't use it for such, just that you have to weigh the cost per hour.

My plan is to keep my 32" direct view for casual viewing, and break out the fp for movies of good HD material. I believe alot of other people do something similar.

Hope this helps,
    -- Dave

Oh, as for why fp is becoming more popular, I think it's simply that reasonably good projectors are becoming very reasonably priced. With an AE500 or Z2 at under $2000, and some 480p under $1000, you can get a 100" for less than the cost of your buddy's much smaller RPTV... I think most people in the past assumed projectors were in the $5-10,000 range and didn't really consider them. The dollar per inch ratio has come out way in favor of fp lately, and I hope the trend continues.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

One weakness, however, is that large screens require higher quality display than smaller screens, which is why I personally find entry-level digitals inadequate. However, then with the high-end CRT and digital projectors that are adequate for supporting larger screen sizes (more technically not absolute screen size, but rather viewing angle) comes the need for higher quality sources as well. DVD becomes inadequate, and the desire for quality HD sources become greater. Sometimes HD is even inadequate in quality/mastering for supporting such large viewing angles.

15. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

STEVE I USE MINE FOR ALL SPORTING EVENTS. YOU CAN'T BEAT AN 8' SCREEN. ONCE YOU GO FP YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK. THE FUNNY THING IS WHEN I PLAY THE PIXAR MOVIES ON MY X1 ALL THE KIDS SIT STILL THRU A WHOLE MOVIE. IT DOSEN'T WORK WITH MY TOSHI 57". LOOK IN TO IT. YOU TRY ONE AT BB. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN TAKE IT BACK. NO ?? ASKED. [​IMG]

16. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

stop yelling. You're not XANATOS.

[​IMG]

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I wouldn't recommend FP for day-to-day watching. It washes out too badly in the daylight, unless you are willing to entirely darken the viewing room. Plus, normal TV blown up that big tends to look VERY subpar.

Especially seeing the way I see a lot of people use their TVs - it gets left on all the time, even when no one is watching it.

But a FP setup combined with a standard CRT for daytime viewing is a really good way to go!

Honestly, we don't watch TV at all at home, so it's not really an issue for us. Plus, we work 2nds and 3rds, so we tend to be sleeping through most of the daylight anyway.

18. Steve^S

Steve^S Stunt Coordinator

Nice welcome to the board. Thanks! Will discuss what I have learned with my son and it give me some things to think about too. With his viewing habits it would seem that a widescreen dlp or rp might be the best first step and then add a fp at a latter date. Light controll will be an issue and he does watch alot of network.
    He has looked at the samsung dlp 61" and is also considering a Pioneer Elite rp (don't know what size but larger is better to him).
    Really appreciate all the input.
    Steve

19. Bruce McDermott

FP for HD and DVDs. Rear projection for SD.

And you don't have to worry about "bulbs" being replaced if you buy a decent used CRT FP [​IMG].

Run your CRT FP for DVDs at 720p and a 72hz refresh rate, and it's the closest to a movie theater (but better picture than most) I've seen. Run the HD at 1080i or 720p, depending on the source, and at 60hz, and you get the nice pop of HD.

Use your RPTV for the few SD shows worth watching (through a Tivo or something like it) and, suddenly, YOU are in total charge of what you watch, when you want to watch it.

And life is good [​IMG]