FP Newbie - Barco or Benq?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James McMillan, Aug 12, 2004.

1. James McMillan

James McMillan Auditioning

Hello fellow HT buffs.
    I'm planning my first FP Home theatre setup. New to projectors, I can't figure out whether to spend the big money on a new DLP projector, like the BenQ 8700PE, or get a second-hand older projector like a Barco reality 6400.

I understand this Barco model is a beast of a machine size-wise, but its specs look pretty impressive as well. (4000 ANSI lumens etc.) Will it perform well in 16:9? Or is it obsolete and ready for that big home theatre in the sky?

I understand that a few years ago the Barco was priced around the US30,000 mark(!!), but I can pick one up for much less than that now!

Please let me know what you all think.

Cheers,
    James

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I'd go with the BenQ.
    The Barco doesn't have DVI, or HDMI for future viewing.
    The tecnology, while still viable, is getting a liitle long in the tooth.
    I you're not concerned about having older tecnology, then I guess the Barco will work, but the cost of bulb replacement is high, and the life span is about 1000 hours.
    That's about $400-500 in bulbs every 1000 hours.
    Vb

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please ask for projector-purchasing advice here in the Display Devices forum. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only. Thanks.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Is the Barco a CRT or a digital projector? If it is digital, I'd go for the Benq. [​IMG]

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

That just means that it might be almost as good as a current model $1500 projector. Even if you got it for $1500, the maintenance cost of ownership would be much higher than with a new model projector. The technology has improved so dramatically, and prices have dropped so much that any projector more than 2 years old is worth almost nothing.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Except if it were a Barco CRT, which it is not unfortunately.

7. James McMillan

James McMillan Auditioning

Thanks very much for your advice. I can get this projector for around the US$1500 mark. I thought it was too good to be true. I notice that the contrast is only >250:1, whereas some of the newer lcd/dlp projectors are up around the 2000:1.

I was recently watching a Barco 700 CRT. IT's write-up was very impressive, and it went for quite a bit (approx $US3000). After reading the forums I see that CRTs are a lot more work to set up and maintain.

I think I will soend the money and get something mid to high end like the Benq 8700. Any other suggestions that may be almost on par with the Benq but a bit easier on the wallet?

Thanks again,
    James

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

3K for a 700 CRT sounds pretty pricey. You can get a solid EM focus 8 incher like an 808 for that price. If large and heavy is ok for you (seems like it if you were considering the digital barco), and some more effort in setup, a used CRT will provide dramatically superior picture for the dollar than the current digitals. If you're considering going this route, I can point you in some excellent directions.