What's new

FP mounting options? (1 Viewer)

George V

Grip
Greetings!
I am looking to place a FP HT projector in my living room. Has anyone build the projector into the wall. Possibly fold down when in use and folded up when not? Such that it could be hidden by a picture or something? My living room is small, and having a projector hanging from the ceiling would look terible as you walk into the front door.
TIA,
George V

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Haven't seen that approach yet but it is a good idea if you can manage to build a solid cabinet into the drywall. Have you decided on the particular projector? An LCD/DLP should be manageable. A larger CRT would be a little more difficult. When you cut the hole into the drywall, you can run the cables you need and fish them up there. I like it.
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Just a idea. How about moving the picture and keeping the projector stationary. Maybe a little easier and less $$
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

PhilipW

Second Unit
Not trying to be negative, but on alot of these projectors I've been looking into need somewhere between 1-3ft of exhaust area. Also what room is connected behind where the projector may be mounted? If you do a hinged fold down or possibly a slide out platform, or just built into the wall your going to need a fairly large platform (2ft deep?) Just some things to consider as I myself am looking at this.
------------------

George V

Grip
Thanks for comments thus far..... I have a stairway going to to my second floor directly behind where I am considering placing the projector (Leaning toward LCD - Sony 10HT (11HT)) So the "room" that I would be between is a set of stairs. Leaning toward having the Picture/mounting board stick out 3-4" from wall. Lesser of evils to have projector hang down from ceiling.
Second question... Most installations I have seen are either high or low. Mine would be middle! Height that is! Is this a problem for projector image...ie 1/2 image above projector & 1/2 below?????
TIA,
George V

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen an 'in-wall' ironing board that allows you to cut into the drywall and mount a full ironing board that can be raised into the wall or lowered for use (like in a closet where space is limited). You could pick that up (Home Depot?) and mount the projector instead of an ironing board. Or mount the projector ON the ironing board :) That would definately give you two feet of exhaust. Even if it wouldn't work it is a great idea IMHO...

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
If you could build a cubby hole into the wall, that would work. Hanging a picture in front is a great idea if you don't want it to be visible when not in use. If you could come up with some sort of slide so that the picture could just be slid/moved up and down, that would be cool.
Here is a link to pics of a room I did for someone. Originally the 10HT was going to be a foot higher than where it is now, but it wouldn't work becuase of where the screen was going to be mounted. That is the reason for the drop box for the projector.
You can see in the framing pictures where the hole was going to go originally and in the near completion pics where it ended up.
Link Removed

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
quote:Not trying to be negative, but on alot of these projectors I've been looking into need somewhere between 1-3ft of exhaust area.
Not necessarily true. I seem to remember somewhere on this forum a member had a system where his hanging projector was framed in a box (with just the lens showing) so that sound from the fan was neutralized. He/she then had a system where a reverse airflow was connected to the exhaust in the box so that all the warm air would be sucked out and sent into another room.
Sounds like a lot of work, but it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread